Overheating again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyhitscar

Solid State Member
first off.

AMD +2800 barton (aero cool phantom, copper heatsinks)
gigabyte ga7n400 pro2
1gig ram 333mhz
200gig Western D. hdd
6 case fans, 2 psu fans 550psu
nvidia geforce3 ti200
windows xp pro

i had a problem about a year ago where my aerocool phantom and heatsinks became unseated on my cpu. i fixed it reapplied artic ice and my cpu temp went from 65C down to 48C. now over the past few days my cpu temp went back up to 60C, well idle at 57-58C but highest its reached was 61C while playing a game.

i am wondering if my aerocool phantom which is running at full rpm isnt getting the job done over an extended time now, the fan/computer is almost 2 years old.

i was thinking about a thermaltake or zalman fan. i came here to ask for ideas and opinions on my situation or fan choice.

thanks for any ideas. cause i'm stumped and cannot figure out why the temp jumped again.

How much thermal compound did you put on top of the cpu? You literary need less than a grain of rice.

The heatsink that I like is the Zalman 7700cu which is the all copper version, that has a 120mm fan included. The Thermalright xp120 is alot more and doesn't come with a fan, so you will need to buy one seperatley, and people would tell you to get a tornado and use the fan controller to stop your ears from bleeding. You will need to check the compatiblility on the motherboard with these heatsinks, as there may be something blocking it e.g. ram slots.

i applied very little, basically enough to cover the cpu and no more. used a credit card to smooth it out and keep it clean. but i'm up for all ideas.

it just seems strange that once i fixed it that it ran fine for a year and now i'm getting a heat spike. thats why i'm wondering if the aerocool phantom is just starting to show its age.

i'm looking at either the thermaltake 80mm silent boost or actually the zalman7700cu to replace it.

can you or anyone think of another reason as to the heat spike? i dont mind spending the money if that seems to be the cause of the problem, but i'd rather not fix what isnt broke.

thanks for the 1st reply.

thanks i'll try that on my lunch break and hopefully everything will be fine from there.

thanks for the ideas and keep them coming.

What is the ambient temp of the room your comp is in? I'd think that processor would run closer to 30 than to 50 (closest thing i have is an xp 2200 or 2100, it runs between 30-40). Try Ceramique by Artic Silver.. it's the stuff we use here at the shop and seems to work well.. There is also a silver colored tube of stuff (Ceramique is in a white tube)made by the same company (i dont remember the product name) it was 4$ish a tube and seemed to work better than the ceramique.

Isnt ceramique a permenent solution?

That 4$ish tube stuff yoru probolly talking about is artic silver 5, and yes it works better.

senseless, the room temp is 70 degrees Farenheit/ 21C.

i keep the ac on always so that shouldnt be a problem, i also have artic silver 5 between the cpu and copper heatsink. it shouldnt be that because i've applied very little, enough to cover the contact surface.

although i will be reapplying it when i get back home and cleaning my heatsink as well.

any opinions on whether the fan might be the problem? would it be worth it to upgrade to a thermaltake silent boost or zalman7700cu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom