Overheating! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

try some artic silver thermal compound, not the radio shack stuff. look for some quality compound, and put on a very thin line of it

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 09-21-2004, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If im not true, i heard that all the new motherboard, have a temperature protection, when the processor is too hot its turns the pc by it self, I saw i think all the ECS motherboard have that, and that company is pure cheap motherboards, so all the other should have it too,if the ECS cheap company had it!

Old 09-21-2004, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
I asked Carlos about CPUs melting to motherboards and he said that it would need to reach temps MUCH higher than that. I mean its metal people come on.
He didn't mean MELT literally....yeesh.....it would need to be like 2000 degrees to literally MELT so you 'come on'....

Quote:
Looks like this new LGA775 socket stuff is made to ONLY run with thermal pads said Carlos from Intel.
A socket wouldn't determine wether or not thermal pads or thermal paste is 'what goes with it' Its the simple fact that stock heatsins come with a thermal pad on it...if you can safely get this removed then more power to ya...just don't scratch the heatsink finish.......then get some good compound and apply a thin layer on the core of your CPU. As simple as that. Thermal pads are insanely less efficient as far as cooling goes....and anyone else will tell you....but if you INSIST on thinking that 'carlos from intel' is absolutely correct then do whatever the hell you want, but I'm telling you....get good compound.....make 300% sure that thermal pad is cleanly removed and apply some good thermal compound to your CPU core...a THIN layer will do.

Quote:
i heard that all the new motherboard, have a temperature protection, when the processor is too hot its turns the pc by it self,
Ace-Tek - You are right...most new motherboards do have that feature..I have mine to shut off at 75C personally. It could very well be that it's just wrong readings cause 80C for an Intel as freakin insanely hot...and AMD MIGHT be able to get away with it for like...2 mins before it crashed if that.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ye Amd tend to get way hotter then my Intel, i have a Amd 2000 overclcoked and it tends to go at 70 celcious but anything above that my comptuer turns off!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

whew 70C is too hot for me.....my CPU with stock heatsink and fan and no case fans with the side panel open was 64C Idle....now during this part of the day I'm at 42C idle and by tonight it'll be 38-39C idle and won't go above 40C even at full load. You should definitely look into some bettering cooling ace......70C is waaaay to high for my liking especially if you're overclocking.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

"whew 70C is too hot for me.....my CPU with stock heatsink and fan and no case fans with the side panel open was 64C Idle....now during this part of the day I'm at 42C idle and by tonight it'll be 38-39C idle and won't go above 40C even at full load. You should definitely look into some bettering cooling ace......70C is waaaay to high for my liking especially if you're overclocking."

I think I have my Asus Probe set to alert me with beeps if it gets 70C. If my mobo or CPU ever gets any higher than 60C (which it never has *whew!*), I freak out, panic, chaos, disorder...you get the point. It was at 59C once, only cause the desk I use was and still is HORRIBLE for high-end systems. Now, I've taken it out and set it on top some other desk thingy and now it's at, idle: mobo: 44C. CPU: 43-45C and only goes up like 10 degrees when playing games.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

yeah, my CPU only goes up like....3 degrees when I'm going....but I usually game at night when it's the coolest...my CPU will be 38C Idle and after gaming it'll only be 40C
Old 09-22-2004, 02:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Techie

yes but going back to the original point of this thread.. i am 150% confident that ur getting a bios temperature reading error.. because according to what microbell told me a few weeks ago.. the northwood ceases function at around like 75C.. im guessing that the prescott is somewhere around that ballpark figure.. so if ur readings are rite then ur comp shudve een fried a while ago.. maybe u shud just stick a thermometer in there and check? lol
Old 09-22-2004, 10:05 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

lol. Hey, if it works.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Nvidia fan boy

If all else fails flash the bios and just go out and buy a new heatsink/fan. I recommend a Thermaltake.

Closed Thread