Overclocking with the Venice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0

In Runtime
So i probably should've asked this stuff before when i mentioned id found a place that sells this, but i didnt think of it, so i apolagize for the multiple threads.

How much more will i be able to overclock the Venice Core compared to the retail 3200?

Also is it really worth the extra $70 just so i can overclock more?
And what are your personal opinions about the Venice core vs Retail version

thankyou.

I'm assuming that both processors are a 3200+.

if that is the case, then my opinion would be that your ability to overclock one processor over the other would depend on the individual chip you recieve. You might get a good Venice core and be able to overclock the hell out of it or you could get a so-so Venice core and only get a marginal overclock. The same criteria would apply to the retail 3200+. As always, the only sure thing is that the processor will run at stock speeds.

It is my opinion that the Venice core would be the better route to go and is worth the extra $. I found this article here and they had a lot of good things to say about the Venice core. :)

thanx for your help, and yes they are both the 3200. but i dont know what you mean buy get a good or so-so one, wouldnt the quality of these products be standard?

nah, it does. Im from Australia + i can only find it at one site so they are probably ripping people off.

yeh i was thinking but like i thought screw it, i got nothin better to spend it on

When i said a good one or a so-so one i meant this:

I bought two AMD 2500+ processors, same day, same order, same place. one for my computer and one for my mom's computer. I tried both of them in the same set-up and this is what i found:

One of them would overclock to 3200+ speeds without any problems. 48 degrees C under full load (prime 95). :)

The other couldn't go to 3200+ speeds without overheating. It would get to 58 degrees C at 3000+ speeds. I played around with it to see if it was the installation or the chip.

after a lot of testing, i came to the conclusion that the one chip was just better than the other. I kept the good one and installed the other in my mom's computer.

Erm, OK, something just to go over first.

You can't compare a Venice Core to a "retail version", any CPU core, including the Venice, is packaged as either retail or OEM. The core refers to the actual architechture of the chip, not how it's packaged.

Now, I'm assuming the retail version you are talking about is the Winchester core. The Venice core will overclock exceptionally better than the Winchester core, it has a better memory controller added to it so you can hit higher speeds with less voltage than the old Winchester. For example, a 3200+ can hit 3GHz with the right knowhow on air with a Venice core, Winchesters most likely won't do that.

The other couldn't go to 3200+ speeds without overheating. It would get to 58 degrees C at 3000+ speeds. I played around with it to see if it was the installation or the chip.
This is because companies like AMD and Intel make one chip so to speak, and test the chip to see what speeds it can run at. If a chip can't make the voltage and clock speed of say a 3500+, but can for a 3200+, they'll label it a 3200+. That being said, a core might be able to run at 3500+ speeds, but may miss the vcore requirements by like 0.1, they'll label it a 3200+ when infact it can run a lot faster than what the stock speeds are.

So wait someone can get lucky and get a 4000+ in like a 3500+ that is how I understood it? so if they manufactured it for a 4000+ but doesn't meet that then they pakage it for a 3500 + also would you still be able to overclock it like a 4000+ or would it overclock like a 3500+, Gaara?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom