Overclocking RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, for one, dont use ebay. there is no real way of knowing what the stuff has been through when you get it. go to www.newegg.com for great prices on computer components.

My FSB is 133MHz so i should be able to overclock without it becoming unstable, correct?
Not necessarily. You wouldn't have to worry about the RAM obviously if it were PC3200, buuuut you'd still have to make sure you can lock your AGP/PCI bus at 66:33MHz. If you can't lock those, then when you go to raise your FSB those will raise to making the system unstable, and you probably won't get far beyond 140FSB.

Other than that, of course all you'd need to do is make sure you got enough voltage to your CPU to get it stable.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-218-062&depa=1

Those are some good cheap OC'ing sticks of RAM. The thing is though, to get good high OC's they need a lot of voltage through them generally like 3.0v+ but they can OC well, however with your 133FSB you won't really be needing to OC the RAM quite yet, but down the road you can given enough voltage to them

Holy crap, good guess at the 140MHz ceiling. I knew about the AGP PCI locking, but my mobo doesn't have that capability. Im getting the ram first because Im still researching better boards. Thanks for your help.

Holy crap, good guess at the 140MHz ceiling
hehe, I only knew that because my old MSI board and 2400+ XP had the exact ceiling :p I think I got it up to 142 once, but quickly froze....this was before I knew about OC'ing really, and didn't know about the AGP/PCI at all.

Im getting the ram first because Im still researching better boards.
Cool, that maker (TwinMOS) makes some of the best OC'ing RAM in the world, and it's freakin cheap too as you can see. Also they don't use heatspreaders which is an arguement for most as to whether heatspreaders even do anything.....buut like I said they need a good amount of juice to really OC well, but it looks like you got quite a bit of time before you will be OC'ing RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom