overclocking qustion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlb

Baseband Member
I really know nothing about overclocking. If i buy more memory for my computer or a video card or both will i overclock?

What? This post makes 0 sense. Are you saying you want to buy a new video card and RAM that will OC well?

Specs of current comp please, include PSU W too ples.

Overclocking is a practice which increases a component past speeds which the manufacturer shipped said component as. The whole idea behind overclocking is to save money, buy cheaper components, and use the proper methods and increase the speed of the component to that of higher priced parts, thus saving money.

You can't buy a part to "overclock" as that completely contradicts the reason for doing so. What you are doing is upgrading

Oh i think i confused upgrading and overclocking. See i was thinking that my computer came with a 512mb memory card and that if i added on to that, lets say by getting another 512mb card that it would overclock. Because its going beyond the specs from which it was built on.

Yeah, that would be upgrading since you're technically adding a physical piece, rather than changing a setting.

Your PC will have a basic input output system which dictates the very operation of your PC. Without the BIOS, your computer would not boot, and you would be hardpressed to do anything. The BIOS stores information such as the clockspeed (measured in MHz) of the CPU and tells it how fast to operate. The manufacturer has built the CPU and tested it to run safely at a specific setting as defined in your BIOS, however changing the setting in your BIOS can increase the CPU speed.

Actual storage space on memory and hard drives cannot be increased since it is physically built into its component, if that makes any sense. You can turn a 512MB stick of memory ino 1024MB unless you actually alter the memory yourself (which you'd need a bachelors degree in engineering and god knows what to accomplish). Speed and storage are two different things.

Think of it as a car, put your foot further down the peddle, and the car goes faster. The car isn't getting any bigger though, you'd need to physically attach something it in order to make it bigger.

And now I'm just rambling so I think this is better fit for another place since this ain't overclocking ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom