overclock 56k

Status
Not open for further replies.
TMT said:
HAHA no...

Overclocking refers to a clock that is pushed to run faster than its advertised speed. I don't see a clock inside a modem... ;)

Every computer has an internal clock which controls the rate that instructions are performed. A processor requires a set amount of clock ticks (or clock cycles) to perform each instruction. So, the faster the clock, the more instructions the processor can perform each second.

TMT. :cool:

Show me a clock inside a cpu, all I see is a clock speed

TheMajor said:
ur right..each mobo has a clock wich runs at about 14,xxx MHz

What's your problem, if you've come after me you've come to the right place. anytime, anyplace

derrmc said:
Show me a clock inside a cpu, all I see is a clock speed
Show me a clock inside a modem... ;)

If you notice, I said Every computer, not every CPU. I said that the CPU needs a set amount of clock ticks to perform each instruction. So I was merely pointing out that there is a system clock in which a CPU can be pushed upon... i.e. overclocked.

Anyway, enough of this banter lol, let's get back to some other posts and learn something.

there is always the option to goto isdn in some places, although thats not exactly a price worthy option. At one time ISP's allowed dual modem connections and dual Isdn's but I'm not sure if that's available anymore, and you would need the hardware/software to support it.

The other thing you need to worry about with modems is the phone line quality. Even if you could boost your connection over 56k, will the line support it? If you are too far away from a phone line repeater station the signal could get degraded to a point that you would have signal loss.

Yah iv lived in middlesex all my life, they said we might get broadband by 2007.A lot of friends got satellite, but ah, dont try playin no online games with it. Horrible lag spikes, and ping rates suck. I finally got a job up here in washington dc, and oh man im spoiled with cable now.Hope i never have to go back to the yucky sound of 2 modems making a handshake over crappy wire ehe.

jseber1982 said:
Yah iv lived in middlesex all my life, they said we might get broadband by 2007.A lot of friends got satellite, but ah, dont try playin no online games with it. Horrible lag spikes, and ping rates suck. I finally got a job up here in washington dc, and oh man im spoiled with cable now.Hope i never have to go back to the yucky sound of 2 modems making a handshake over crappy wire ehe.

Yea, satellite does suck. A friend of mine has DirecWay, and is paying $100 per month for it and gets ping rates higher than that of dial-up and if its raining, you can kiss your internet access goodbye. Even worse is that DirecWay puts a cap on how much you can download at one time, so if he tries to download over like 150MB or something, the download rate will slow to like 4KB/sec for an hour, then it will speed back up to around 100KB/sec. Satellite is better than 56K, but almost isn't even worth the hassle.

TMT said:
Show me a clock inside a modem... ;)

If you notice, I said Every computer, not every CPU. I said that the CPU needs a set amount of clock ticks to perform each instruction. So I was merely pointing out that there is a system clock in which a CPU can be pushed upon... i.e. overclocked.

Anyway, enough of this banter lol, let's get back to some other posts and learn something.

I'll go for that! I apoligise-peace

Now if I could figure out how to speed up data through loooong tiny,tiny wire Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could try using a broadband telephone filter, I'm not sure if it'll work though to be honest. The filters are the way the ISP companies obtain two *separate* lines so-to-speak, which is actually a con, but technically, you are getting two halfs of your line to work simultaneously. They separate the analogue and digital signals in the line, thus allowing your telephone to use the analogue half, and your broadband modem to use the digital half. The thing with dial-up internet is, because you are dialing up to a server, this is like a telephone call, thus taking up the analogue side to your line, and because you're transferring data, you're also taking up the digital side to your line.

I've got a feeling that the filters don't have too much to do with the wiring and/or speed, but you never know... It's always worth a try if you can't obtain broadband in your area. I'll have to look into it a bit more when I get some spare time, but I'm gathering that the speed has a lot to do with the actual broadband modem itself and also the activation that your telephone providor/ISP will perform to enable your line for higher transfers.

While I don't live REAL far out, I'm just out of reach of cable. It's a mere five miles away from my house...and yes, I'm stuck with good 'ol Dial-Up. As well as the greatest ISP in the world: AOL. Guess why? We've tried every single other ISP out there (ok, all that I've found!) And all of them can't hold a connection for longer than 20 minutes, before "idleing" but never really disconnecting. I'm pretty sure it's because they all use the same crappy numbers (or has something to do with it), but nonetheless... AOL manages to keep a connection, scary as it is.

The only other option than Dial-up out here is Satelite, which costs:
$700 set-up
2yr Contract/$350 to break contract
$80 month
...and if there's a cloud in the sky, say good bye! IE: not worth it.

Gosh I hope cable makes its' way over here soon...!

And as far as the filter goes, I use one of those :p It doesn't do anything as far as I can tell, maybe 1/10 connections is a little faster (54,6... VS 38,8...) but I can tell no performance difference as far as the internet goes. The only games that I've found to work on dial-up are:
GunBound,
StarCraft / XP
Diablo I/II/II XP
WarCraft II/III/III XP
Chess/Checkers/Hearts Etc. (All those types o' games).

and don't get me wrong, they were all great, but not THAT great...so now, I play virtually no games on the web! I hate the fact that most games claim to work on a 24,4 modem...but they run like slugs (skip-de-skip), and even if you could take that crap, you'd probably be booted for lagging :p I'll see you on CS. I did that a few times on dial-up, rather funny...you get to watch people come up behind you, stab you in the back...all in slow motion and you can't do a damn thing! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom