Over 512MB RAM... is it necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 512 and for multitasking and playing UT2K4 and HL2 its not enough. I could use another 512. Thats on relatively high settings as well. But thats me and you can look at my sig.

Blind_Arrow said:
yes

u r installing full stick of 256MB and asking for difference, u even will fine diference as if u install 128

I didn't notice any difference when I upgraded from 256 to 512, and was doing some heavy photoshop and gaming like Need for speed underground and halo and stuff like that. And I mean I have XMS lol, no difference:confused:

It depends on what you're doing. For everything, 512 MB isn't used. For gaming, the more memory you have, the better your gaming experiences. However, gaming is just the extreme. Most current generation apps don't even use up 512 MB. I run 3d Studio Max 7 and all sorts of animation programs on 512 DDR2 ram. I have never used 512 MB. If you're gaming, then the 256 will help.

I believe the new version of Maya suggests 1GB of RAM, but I'm running it with 512 and mostly works fine... every once in a while it gets bogged up quite a bit, though.

Keep in mind I have a slow computer and slow memory.

some people need 4GB, some people don't need more than 32MB
it all depends on what you're doing

for gaming, 1GB is a good amount to have; some people get away with 512MB or even 256MB, but some people use 2 or 4GB (people with money)

for internet and emails, some people don't even use 32MB

To run windows xp smoothly you need at least 192mb of ram... so 256 is good for just the average user.

ReverseFluxx said:
I believe the new version of Maya suggests 1GB of RAM, but I'm running it with 512 and mostly works fine... every once in a while it gets bogged up quite a bit, though.

Keep in mind I have a slow computer and slow memory.

I have maya 6 ple and it runs with no lag whatsoever and I did some pretty serious stuff. Not the amount matters, the speed. I have pc3200 and XMS corsair so maybe that is why:confused:

512 will be more than enough for 99% of games but only if it's low latency ram with good timings like corsair xms which has 2-2-2-5. If you're only gonna 512 make sure you get one stick of 512 and not 2 256 because then in the future you can buy another 512 stick and you can run them in dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom