OS Won't Load!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pv1yang

Solid State Member
My troubles started when I bought a Pentium III 1.4Ghz Tualatin CPU and installed it into my system (M/B: PCChips M791G v1.0A). As soon as I started the computer, everything seemed to go right until it came time to load Windows. At first it was able to get to the Windows XP logo and then all of a sudden it just restarted on me! Every time afterwards it wouldn't even go as far as being able to load all of those "white bars" before the Windows XP logo. My motherboard is supposed to be compatible with the 1.4Ghz Pentium 3 Tualatin (http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Pr...3&LanID=0&DetailID=248&DetailName=CPU Support) and I've already tried reverting back to a 650Mhz Pentium 3 but to no avail. I've concluded that either it's my hard drive (Factory Recertified OEM White Label 40GB 7200RPM) or the motherboard that aren't working. If anyone's had any previous experience with this problem, I'd appreciate the help. I want to try fixing this problem myself before consulting the paid proffessionals.

Hmm.. well There is a chance your motherboard could of been damaged. I dont think anything happened to your HD when you changed processors.. Also, what are the other specs on your computer?

You need more RAM. XP needs a minimum of 128, 256 to run it stable, and 512 for peformance,and 1 GB or gaming.

desiboi said:
You need more RAM. XP needs a minimum of 128, 256 to run it stable, and 512 for peformance,and 1 GB or gaming.

But a lack of ram will not cause issues

Personally I would narrow it down to the motherboard by using a seperate video card and you already tried PC's

Another thing you can do, see if it boots off another OS. Search google for "Knoppix Live" as it's a bootable linux CD.

If knoppix boots it's a software problem.

I have in there 1GB of PC2100 DDR SDRAM and it works and BIOS recognizes it as that so I don't think we can blame it on the RAM. I have ordered a Knoppix CD so I think I'll try that for right now. Thank you for all of your help, I deeply appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom