Optical mouse VS standard mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
I've been using my old reliable MS ball mouse for like 8 years. I recently realized I could use a mouse with a wheel for the extra functionality, I mostly do gaming. How are the optical mice compared to the standard ball mouse? I've seen some nice optical/wheel mice around $20, but I seem to remember long ago reading something negative about them for gaming. Shrug. Any help would be appreciated =)

dunno about other people, but personally i cant stand optical mice.. i had like .. 3 .. 2 of them logitech, and they kept either lagging or freaking out on the screen... id recommend the old mouseball cuz i never ever had problems with those, however, they get dirty and probably die faster ... im shocked that you have had one for 8 years, as mine die like . every year sometimes sooner... however.. theyre cheaper soo...
but you should check for more input from other people .. but mouseball has my vote =D

I use optical mouse and wouldn't change back myself. The old ones were not reliable due to what you said, lag when checking x/y axis location. Newer ones, however, are much more accurate and sensitive. Only problem is that you cant use it on just normal wood surface, need a mouse pad.

I personally find the ball mice bad for movement, for me optical mice are much better because they can be used on more surfaces, even on a pillow
optical mice definately are faster than ball mice, and I would recommend them for gaming
Logitech have made something even better than an optical mouse though, the MX1000 laser mouse, which is a lot faster than the optical, cost double that of the MX500 which is IMO the best of the optical mice

I have a cheap generic optical mouse and it has given me no troubles or lag during gaming. Occasionally if a crumb is on the mousepad it'll look up or something while gaming but that doesn't happen very often and personally I'll take my optical mouse over the ball any day.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll give an optical mouse a chance, they seem reasonable in price. The MS mouse I have is from the first series of MS 2-button "ergonomic" mice that game out forever ago. Heck, now that I think about it, it's probably 10 years old :)

A mouse without scroll wheel sucks for gaming. (unless ur playing 8 year old games :) ) I cannot play an FPS without scroll wheel.

Anyways....
get a good optical mouse if u are gonna get one. A logitech is good.

I have a cheap one and it is not very fast.
Ball mice are always faster than optical...they don't have the DPI stuff.

also....some optical (ceap ones like mine) don't respond very wuickly after activating it.....wich means the light goes down after a few seconds when not using. That's why my mouse sucks for games like Arkanoid.

A mouse without scroll wheel sucks for gaming. (unless ur playing 8 year old games ) I cannot play an FPS without scroll wheel.
Yeah I don't know how I lived without my scrollwheel man, it's impossible to change your weapons efficiently otherwise :D like I said I've never had a problem with my mouse and it's even been drenched in water accidentally once (friend spilled a glass of water on table and it dripped onto the mouse =/ ) and man it smelled like burnt electronics, I unplugged it, blew compressed air on it, and it still returned to life. Works great IMO :) Have had it for quite sometime now.

A mouse without scroll wheel sucks for gaming. (unless ur playing 8 year old games ) I cannot play an FPS without scroll wheel.

that depends, for example- ima hadcore fps player, i use to use the mouse wheel to switch weapons. but cause of a situation i used a mouse with no wheel for a bit of time, and got use to switching weapons with the keys. then when i got my wheel back, it was actually easyer for me to switch with the keys instaad of the wheel... so know i have a mouse wheel, but i dont use it for switching weapons, i only use it for seldom stuff like using items.

Pick up a Logitech MX510 (or MX1000, laser mouse); you'll never want to go back. Unless, of course, all the buttons confuse you.

I have one, it was about $30. You should be able to find one for around that price.
Very accurate, even with my belkin cloth pad (a Steelpad S&S aluminum pad would help even more, but that costs more than the mouse...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom