Optical Mouse - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2005, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Optical Mouse

Does the surface an optical mouse is sitting on effect its ability to work. Because my mouse cursor keeps shooting up into the corner of the screen, or it kind of bumps along the bottom of the screen. Its kind of getting annoying, especially while trying to play a game. So im thinking its the surface the mouse is sitting on. Do I need like a solid colored surface for it to work right? BecauseI set it on the oak desk alone, and it didn't really work at all. So then I got a mouse pad that has some pictures of boats on it, and it sort of works, but it jumps every one in a while.

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 2600k
16GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws
1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Old 06-20-2005, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Dark colored mousepads are your friend.....optical mice won't work on really shiney desktops or white surfaces for that matter.

Dark colors allows it to see better....my mousepad is like.....yellow and black and has no problems seeing color so I suppose it depends on the surface texture as well

Old 06-20-2005, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

The mouse with my moms comp is like 400dpi and it is does the same thing. I was using a good mouse at my uncles the metal is perferated with little holes and it wokd fine.But ya a pad would help but dpi is also a factor is it a cheap mouse.
Closed Thread