Optical/Coaxial/Digital/Analog???

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
Well, got my new speakers, they are amazing, thougt they could not get any better. I have been reading reviews of them on NewEgg, and they mention that sound quality is much better with some sort of a different cable, I read, and heard the different words thrown around: Optical/Coaxial/Digital, well, what are they, will they improve sound as much as people say, and how expensive are they?

Plus, which ones are good to buy for a pair of 5.1 speakers (Logitech Z-5500's)?

Thanks a bunch!

Yan

(Status - Windows XP installation problems, so I am writing zero's to the hard drive, after about 15 minutes only at 2%, wow, gonna go to sleep for a few hours, should have chosen the quick option, but ignorant old me wanted to make sure it was as blank as the eyes of a dead man, and I hate this lap(crap)top)

Optical/Coaxail Digital Cables can be connected to the speakers to the PS2/DVD player to get use of the decoders for movies (DTS & Dolby Digital) or to your computers sound card. Im not sure how much difference it will be with your computer, as I only used it on the computer with the analog cable. You should notice that the digital sound is a lot better than the analog connections though.

e.g. I have my Z-680's connected to my PS2 with a digital Optical cable to watch movies in Dolby Digital 5.1

Digital Optical

Digital Coaxial

Hope what i said is relevant at all.
Good luck!

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-155-024&depa=0
Also, this is connector, but why the two connectors, black and red? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I'm so confused, have dedicated the last 10 hours of computer time trying to get this into my head, and I'm still confused beyond belief...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-155-046&depa=0

OK, so here is a "interconnect" optical, what does this mean? I take it that it isn't coaxial to optical is it? The dam specs on it are 'detail free', unlike the dang price. It is beyond belief, it is no "new" technology, it has been around for a while, its not the kind of thing they designed, and charge a lot for the research and development, and thats why the price is high, but the cost to make it is low, if that is how it was, I would be ok with that, but buying possibly $100+ of cables is so chalked full of sh*te.

Sorry, just really flustered at the nerve that these companies have.

Yan

Psh, I gave up this $|-|!T a while ago, what a pain you you don't have optical out.
Its not the price (went to a store, newegg sells some pointless stuff), its the fact that I showered myslef in different cable options, and all they do (except for the analog) is give me horrible sound quality.

Yan

The only time you would use optical calbe is when you are connecting one component to another, such as a DVD player to a surround receiver. This also goes for a digitial coaxial connection.
If you are just hooking up speakers to a reciever or to your sound card then you can't use optical. You can use coaxial (also called RCA) because the connectors are the same for a analog or digitial coax.
I could help if I had info on what your setup is.

With my speakers you CAN use optical from the sound card to the digital decoder. I knew this, and I knew the card to buy if I wanted that, but I need a name brand card for games.

Digital out (3.5mm) to RCA cords do not work, whether they are mono or stereo. The speakers' digital decoder has ONLY one RCA input.

Just forget this, I have given up.

A mod. might as well DELETE THIS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom