Opinions on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
I'm building a new computer for someone, and I wanted to see if you guys had any better/cheaper suggestions. This system will be used for internet surfing and word processing and stuff like that, no gaming whatsoever. Also, the cheaper the better.

CPU- AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Motherboard- Biostar M7NCD Pro
RAM- 512 MB Kingston PC3200
Hard Drive- Western Digital 80GB
Video Card- eVGA GeForce4 MX 440 64MB-8X
Optical Drive- Sony CD Burner
Case- Antec w/ 350watt psu
Operating System- Windows XP Home OEM

And the total comes out to $522.99. To my surprise, I found the XP 2700+ cheaper than the 2500 and 2600, I guess due to their popularity. I went with the Biostar motherboard because it supports up to 3 GB of Kingston ValueRAM, and plus I've seen it used in a build on Tom's Hardware, so it must be reliable enough. Also, I realize the video card sucks, but it won't be used for gaming at all, so that should be fine. What do you guys think?

If its not for gaming really... probally cut down the price with 256mb 400 pc3200 ram... unless he runs alot of stuff at once.

I would downgrade the RAM to PC2700 instead of PC3200. It will save you money plus you have no need for PC3200. The hard drive looks good. You could also save a little money by using a GeForce 2 MX instead of a GeForce 4 MX. I see GeForce 2 MXs at Wal-mart all the time for like $30.

Get something like this:

Dell
Dimension 3000
Essential Technology on a Budget
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

256MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

40GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive

FREE 2-Day Shipping!

FREE 15" Flat Panel Monitor Upgrade - Online only!

FREE Dell 720 Printer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom