Opinions needs for a computer class question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hvc801

Baseband Member
Hello, I've got this question that needs to be answered and was looking for any opinions out there that might help me get a better idea. Any suggestions, answers are highly appreciated. That being said, heres the question:

A computer manufactuer wants to streamline its products by producing a computer with a single USB connector and no other connectors. Is this a good idea? Is it even possible? Explain.

I think its possible, but why would you want to do that? Possibly to save time and money.

Like I said, any suggestions to this topic would be highly appreciated, thanks again.

This should be moved out of Networking forum.

Sure it COULD be done, wouldn't be a good idea though. IMHO, the USB controller wouldn't have enough bandwidth to support everything. This would be assuming that the single USB could be split to provide a small box that would have more USB ports, PS/2 ports, VGA or DVI port, ethernet port, and audio I/O ports. No idea what the bandwidth of all those features would need, so I couldn't say for sure.. Figure Ethernet alone uses 10/100, sometime 1000 mbps.

Sure it would save money, but it would be a terrible idea for Home PC's. Could work for some sort of server possibly... Use the breakout box (as described above) to set up and configure the device, then use USB to Ethernet adaptor to connect it to the LAN. Servers don't need I/O devices other than Ethernet generally once they are configured, unless they need maintenance.

IMHO it would be cheaper to just get normal equipment then disable unused ports via the OS or the BIOS. Depending on what type of system this company needs.

A computer manufactuer wants to streamline its products by producing a computer with a single USB connector and no other connectors. Is this a good idea? Is it even possible? Explain.

I think its possible, but why would you want to do that? Possibly to save time and money.

Like I said, any suggestions to this topic would be highly appreciated, thanks again.

A MacBook Air with disable WiFi. What an excellent idea. Might as well call it MacBook PaperWeight.

Seriously, NO. Sure you can string a USB Mouse on a USB Keyboard. However if the limitation of 127 devices per host controller will not stop you, the amount of power that is avalable on that one USB Port definitly will (unless they are all exernally powered).

Plus there is the problem with USB where it need to re-install the drivers every time it's unplugged (don't get me started on that issue and USB Serial Port Emmulated devices)

If i was going to control every thing from one port, i would be doing it via TCP/IP where you can assign every thing IP Address.

In a nut shell, what you are asking is a very bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom