Opinions and Help with New Computer Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbowman101

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I was looking for the real computer "guns" to over look my ideas and pick faults and areas for improvement in my new set up IÂ’m looking at creating. So far it's around $3000AUD and that's my max price realy. I'm mainly gona be using the computer for gaming, and some video editing and just general shit like movies and stuff.

Here are my ideas so far :
1. DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
2. Leadtek A400 GT GeForce FX6800 GT 256MB TV/DVI, AGP8X
3. AMD Athlon64 3800+ Retail - Socket 939 - Venice Core
4. Antec Antec P180, Performance One, ATX MidiTower Case
5. OCZ PowerStream 520W Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU
6. Corsair 1024MB XMS2700 - TwinX - Extra Low Latency DDR RAM (2 x 512MB)
7. Seagate Barracuda NCQ 120GB 7200rpm ATA150 Serial ATA HDD - 8MB Cache X 2

And i have the logitech Z-5500 speakers and i was looking at geting a sound card that isn't to expensive with optical output on it. So i can watch dvds with dolby digital sound.

Anyway cheers ,
James

P.s Will i need any extra cooling in this system and is there any new tech thats coming out soon that is worth waiting for ?

That video card isn't compatible with the system. It is AGP 8x and you need PCI express.

I would go with the 3700 san diego core.

I would go with the OCZ platinum rev. 2 for the ram. (I think that ram is PC2700, so it will be a HUGE bottle neck, being slower than the system bus.

If you have a little bit os money spare from your budget, it may be worth looking into the Thermalright 7700cu.

Edit: almost forgot, the new GPU's are coming out very soon. The 7800 comes out tomorrow (in US) and the X900 comes out very soon as well. The X900 looks to be the better one from the specs.

Hey,
- i dont know much about computer realy, i know the general things but , how is the Leadtek A400 GT GeForce FX6800 GT 256MB TV/DVI, AGP8X compatible with the system, i dont quite understand, the mobo has an AGP slot supporting x8?
-Whats the advantage of the 3700 san diego core, what would be the next step up from that ?
-I'l change the RAM to your suggestion, will 1024MB be good enough, or would it be a good idea to increase the ram ?
-Whats the Thermalright 7700cu ?
-Would you make any other changes ?
-Do you know if the x900 and the 7800 will much more expensive that the current card i've chosen?
-Any suggestions on a sound card ??
Thanks heaps for the help,
James

Check your mobo specs again. The DFI does NOT have an AGP slot, only PCI-E x16. All DFI NF4 boards have only PCI-E slots.

The san diego core has 1mb cache, whereas the one you chose has 512kb's.

There is no need for more than 1gb of ram at the moment. The OCZ ram is a great overclocker, and is quite cheap.

The 7700cu is a heatsink. http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=145&code=

They will probally be the same price. Wait until tomorow to get an idea of the price

The creative ones are good. Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 THX Sound Card?? You will have to check to see if it has opticle out.

MOBO
MSI NEO-4F K8N NFORCE-4

RAM
G-Skill 1GB(2x 512) F1-3200PHU2-1GBZX

Processor
AMD ATHLON 64 3200+

Video Card- 6800GT PCI-E(these cost way more than agp counterparts)

Get yourself a nice LCD or some more games with the money saved.

stick with the DFI, its a better board than the MSI, i can attest to that, i own an MSI. I would recommend the 3700 san diego as well. And if u want, u can wait for the new video cards to hit the market, which means waiting into august, or maybe even later. If not, get an eVGA 6800 GT

No, its a very good mobo. Its just that the DFI is better. Especially when it comes to overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom