Which one should I go for, the P4 Laptop or an AMD64 Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackecho

Baseband Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two laptops that are looking good too me and the moment, both cost right around 1,800$ and they are equally equiped iBuyPower laptops. They both have 1 Gig of RAM, a 128mb DDR Radeon 9700 Pro graphics chip, a 15.4 inch screen, a dvd burner and wireless integrated. The only difference between the two is the processor- either a Mobile AMD Athlon-64 3400+ versus a Pentium 4 at 3.4EGHZ (1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, Hyper Threading Ready).

Tis a hard a choice. Weight and power consumption aren't that big of a deal as I'm always near a power socket. I do a lot of graphic design (running Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Flash and Freehand all at the same time) but I also enjoy games as well in that it takes up half of my time. I've heard so many good things about the AMD 64s, but I don't know how much is hype. Which of the two would be better for what I enjoy? And how well will this chug games for me, by that- will it play Doom 3 and Far Cry at least a little? Thanks!

Also, is this a good deal?

Ps- Wow, I just found out that the AMD64 for the laptop now comes in 3700+...

I'd probably go with the AMD 64 because the newer technology will be more upgradable than the older 32 bit P4 stuff. Besides AMDs are more efficient processors anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom