One of my hard drive assignments disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeman

Baseband Member
I have 2 hard drives. The primary HDD is C, the second HDD (30Gb) I split up into D (10Gb) & E (20Gb) and I had it set this way for the last few months.

All of a sudden, I notice that I only have C & D. There is no E.

I unplug the second HDD and all I have is C (normal). I plug the second HDD back in and all I still have is D. Where the heck is the other 20GB of my second HDD and how do I get it back?

orangeman said:
I have 2 hard drives. The primary HDD is C, the second HDD (30Gb) I split up into D (10Gb) & E (20Gb) and I had it set this way for the last few months.

All of a sudden, I notice that I only have C & D. There is no E.

I unplug the second HDD and all I have is C (normal). I plug the second HDD back in and all I still have is D. Where the heck is the other 20GB of my second HDD and how do I get it back?
How many drives do you have in total ?
You don't mention even 1 cdrom.
Stop unpluging and lets work on detecting.

:confused:

I have a floppy - A
I have a primary HDD - C
I have a secondary HDD partitioned - D & E
I also have a primary DVD - G
I have a secondary CDR - H

Both HDD's are Maxtor. C=40Gb and D/E is a 30Gb

By the way, D was empty and E contained a backup of what I have on drive C. If necessary I can repartition the seconday HDD. How do I go about doing this and would I regain my full 30Gb on the secondary HDD by doing this?

Would it be wise to restore to a previous point in time? I don't know exactly when this would have happened, I just noticed it today.

if your operating system is win2k or winXP (since you meantion restore points) click start button> run. type "diskmgmt.msc" into the run box. check to see your second partition on your second physical disk is still there and has a file system on it. make sure is has a letter assigned to it. if not right click on it and select "change drive letters and paths". give it a letter.

if using win9x use fdisk to verify your 2nd partition is still there and has a file system. what i am thinking is that somehow your partition table is corrupt or missing. maybe a viral infection. yes definately try to restore a a previous point. if it does not work this is what you must do:

http://www.evozero.gamma.timdorr.com/computer-guides/basic_disks.htm

basically use winxp diskmgmt.msc to delete/ create partition, format, and use it.

Ok while I was away, I used MaxBlast to repartition the second HDD. I now have a 30Gb drive D. Now I am looking to see how I can partition this drive so thet I have 2 partitions... D & E like I had before

OK, I partitioned the drive again using MaxBlast from the winxp o.s.

Thanks for all help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom