one long beep then turns off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
i have just turned my first self built pc on and i get one very long beep, and towards the end of it there is also another 4 beeps under neath ( 1 lasting a second or so with 3 quick ones after). Then the origanal long one goes up in pitch and it turns its self off...what does this mean?

Trifid,

Something wrong with the 'POST" which means a hardware problem. Recheck your RAM, Video Card connections with the motherboard...

i forgot about the graphics card power connector...Now it goes on for about 3 seconds with no beep, but then I get a 4 beep thing, the 1st long (about 2 seconds) and the other 3 quick. Then it shuts down.

also my motherboard is the av8 3rd eye.

strip it down to a bare minimum to be able to start it properly.

put in 1 stick of RAM

connect mobo to PSU

1 cd-drive

mouse/keyboard

1 HDD

take out ALL extra added PCI/AGP cards for now.

connect your monitor to the onboard.

restart it now and see what happens.

if it works, then you should install each seperate piece and restart everytime to pin point what is causing the problem.

good luck.

I don't have onboard graphics so i had to leave that in. I have stripped it down to what i can e.g. take out the other stick of ram that was in dual channel.

I did notice the u guru clock had 2244mhz on it when i have a amd 3000 socket 939.

Trifid said:
I don't have onboard graphics so i had to leave that in. I have stripped it down to what i can e.g. take out the other stick of ram that was in dual channel.

I did notice the u guru clock had 2244mhz on it when i have a amd 3000 socket 939.

wait, wait, wait...

you "don't have onboard graphics'??

on a AV8 motherboard?!

i think you'd better re-check the back of your case.

right under where you connect your mouse/keyboard, there should be a VGA connector that looks just like the one on your graphics card...

plug yer monitor into that...

that's your onboard graphics!

oh and about the mHz reading....it changes on my laptop, but if you go into your ..(assuming you're running XP)

Control Panel
click Performance & Maintenance
click Power Options
under Power Schemes...change it to "Always On" or "HOme/Office Desk"

then recheck your system info to see if it reads it as AMD 3000, it should now.

if you still have trouble viewing the correct numbers, try downloading this app...

hope that helps.CPUid

these beeps are actually last breaths :)

what BIOS u have? American MegaTrends Inc (AMI) / Pheonix / IBM? as evey one has different beep codes.

also, there must be 4 beeps only, not 4. count them once again. with time delay btween each, and write here i'll tell u ur problem.

though 1 short and 3 long beeps represents extended memory failure on AMI BIOS. and 4 continuous means Mobo timer failure (inthis case u have to replace the mobo) ,but as urs 1 long and three short, then check ur memory modules, as if u have installed 2 or more sticks, check with usng only 1..

1 Long, then 3 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

Recommendation:
Troubleshoot the video card.
If the video card is not at fault, troubleshoot the motherboard.

You hae an AWARD bios. Possibly you did not seat your card all the way down. Some pc cases are designed so poorly that it stops the card from being seated properly. You should try removing everything out of the case and set it on something nonconductive and boot your computer (like a foam block, towel over a table etc). If you manage to fix your display and still get errors check your post code starting on page 67:

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/d...it.com.tw/pub/download/manual/english/av8.pdf

I'm not positive, but pretty sure you Guru Clock is reading correctly at 2244mhz. I assume that is the correct stock frequency for that cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom