One last question about motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keaton

Baseband Member
Ok, so I've got a pike of computer stuff ready for building, I just need to order my memory and mobo. The memory Im getting is a single stick of Corsair XMS 1gig (the most expensive single componant of the machine).

The rest is
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester 90nm
Western Digital 74GB 10,000RPM SATA
PNY Verto GeForce 6 6600GT PCI-E 128MB GDDR3
THERMALTAKE PSU 480W XASER SILENT
and a new ebuyer case.

Anyway, the motherboard I was going to get, ar am getting rather, is the DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D. Is this a good choice for a mother board? I mean it looks nice, lots of yellow and orange is always good, and Im pretty sure its got all I need, but for around the same money is there something better?

Please? This is one of the two last things I need to buy now, I want this pc to be the best it can be :)

One comment in general. You say you are getting a single stick of 1gb ram. That board, and any good board, supports dual channel memory. You would get better performance running 2 512mb sticks in dual channel mode.

Board sound good, I like the DFI Lan parties, they look stellar.

Also I agree with teh memory statement, you could save money too if you split it into 2x512mb:confused:

Hmmm, I actually thought I would save money by buying a 1gig stick now, and getting another when the price falls. Or would it be cheaper (or better) to get 2 512Mb sticks now, and two 1gig sticks when the price falls? I really have little understanding of these things

If the board has 4 slots then you could upgrade to 4x512mb later:p

But if you wanna look to 2006, then it be better to save money and just get the 2x512mb, because later this year and into 2006 everything will start switching to DDR2;)

Hmmmm, should I even bother with the XMS then? What is the best route to take on a budget that allowed for 1 stick of 1gig XMS in the first place (£180, umm about $224, I think)

Well, I've been thinking about ordering the mobo and memory tonight, but I will do it tomorrow as it wont make a difference to deliver time (its 00.37 oclock :))

Im a little stuck now for what is the best option :(

Well actually that stick isn't too expensive:) I'd still go with 2x512mb though so you can run it dual channel which will be about 5% or so faster:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom