Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfon

Baseband Member
:) Im interested in buying a new pc for small uses only.

What will this pc be used for? ONLY to check emails, search on the web.

I have two choices I am not sure which one to buy.

Comp 1:
AMD Sempron 3000+
512MB DDR
120GB HDD
DVD±RW Dual-Layer
Flash Media Reader
10/100Mbps LAN
Windows XP Home
Long Tower

OR

Comp 2:
Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz
256MB SDRAM
20GB HDD
CD-ROM
NVIDIA Vanta 16MB Video
Windows XP Professional
Tiped over tower

Now again I ONLY want to use this computer for little things, let me tell you exactly what I will do on the computer.

Check my email
Search something up
Surf the net
Go on MSN

This is ALL I plan to do on this computer so it does not need to be top tip shape or anything like that.

Let me give you some dis and likes I have about the both.

Comp1: Very nice keyboard but can get same elsewhere, its an AMD so maybe IF..IF!! I had a feeling to play a game I can without no worrys because Im sure BF2 can be run on this so I wouldent have any problem their. No need for upgradeing. Style looks VERY kool, decent price. If I played games I like the feeling that I would have with this pc because I wont need to worry about getting an upgrade and I just install and play with no regrets..
-
DiskLikes: none

-----------------
Comp2: I have an P41.8Ghz runs ok but could upgrade to a 512mb ram, I can still play some games on this pc IF! I had a feeling to whcih Im not going to but do like the feeling that I can if i ever wanted to. This is a perfect browser pc for me, I can get a better mouse and keyboard so no problem on that.

Dislikes: The tower is flat, like most computers come with a long long tower this is one of them office kind where you set a CRT or LCD monitor on top of if you know what i mean. Them office ones.

So now I've told you what I had to tell you anyone can give me some suggestions on why I should pick one of these pcs and why NOT to pick one of them? Again these PCS will NOT be used for games, only browsers.

Please help, I cant make up my mind so here I am. :confused:

Also the reason why it matters on the long tower or flat is because I have a desk that can fit a long tower, but I dont have much computer knowlage but Im sure if I do get the one with the flat case I can move it to another case..

Get the Sempron. It'll be better at running games, while both of them are good for Internet use. Also, its almost impossible to play BF2 with 256 MB of memory. 512 MB will atleast run it at low settings. You might NEED a video card to play though.

I am really thinking about getting the that AMD but something inside my head (no im not crazy) says I want that Intel.

I think Im going to go on ahead and get it but if anyone else has any more reasons on why and why not I should get one of thoese pcs please post! I plan to make my order within thursday so please post!1 :eek:

If not gaming or anything besides what you previously listed...then it doesn't matter. Go with whichever is cheaper and save yourself some cash. Nothing in that list of things it will be doing requires much pwoer at all...An old 500MHz machine could do any of that.

4W4K3 said:
If not gaming or anything besides what you previously listed...then it doesn't matter. Go with whichever is cheaper and save yourself some cash. Nothing in that list of things it will be doing requires much pwoer at all...An old 500MHz machine could do any of that.

Yeah I know browsering might not be much of a pc I mean i bet I can buy a P3 and it'll run great, but the thing is I MAY think about playing games on that computer in the future thats why I just want a pc that is good and an OK to run games on so I can feel good about able to install a game on their without doubts.

Im trying to get my older brother into playing games so I can play with him online and if he comes by the house then he can play on my computer and I can play on one of these.

Which one do you think would run good in games?
I have a P4 1.8 which I ran
moh:aa laggy but did ok so I guess the P4 would be out?

If I bougth the AMD do you think I could install these games on their with hardly no lag?

MOHAA
MOHBT
MOHSH
BF2
CSS
HL

When setting a high for performance-games, look no further than BF2. I can run BF2 with no lag at minimum settings on a Pentium 3 1.0Ghz with 383MB RAM and a nVidia GeForce FX 5200 video card. But it can't handle anything larger than a 16 vs. 16 map.

I still say go with the Sempron if you're even thinking of gaming.

Yes the Sempron would be better than the P4 1.7GHz i believe. If you might get into games later i'd go with the Sempron. But i would also have to suggest a better video card and more than 512MB RAM for those games.

Done deal! Thanks I will make my order on this pc within this week, thank you 4W

The RAM is bearable in my opinion, but you WILL need a video card. You can get a weak GeForce FX 5200 for about $30-$40 online, and you can get a good one for around $100. These will cost you a LOT more at a local electronics store, though. I've seen the FX 5200 going for $130 at a Circuit City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom