Onboard Video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squaggleboggin

In Runtime
To cut back the cost of a budget gaming pc I'm building, I was thinking of getting a mobo with onboard video. This would cut the costs by about $150. The onboard video will be good enough for some low-end games such as Age of Empires 2 until I have the extra money for a 9600xt (then I can play Halo and other sweet games), right? This is the link to the mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-150&depa=1
So will this mobo be good enough to play some games on until I can get a video card? Now that I'll be saving so much money, what kind of RAM would you suggest to take advantage of the dual-channel memory? I need at LEAST 512mb from what I've heard, so should I get 2 x 256? What speed will be supported by this mobo? I've also heard that I need to get high-end memory, so would mushkin be a good brand? Thanks guys.

If you have a game that requires 512M of RAM, I'd be willing to bet that your onboard video will be inadequate. The GeForce4 MX is not very fast at all.
-Target

I wasn't saying that the game would require 512mb of RAM because - and I forgot to add this - the only computer games I play right now run on a .8ghz p3 with 128mb of RAM, so the games are DEFINITELY NOT high-end. I just wanted to get 512mb of RAM in the new computer so that would be one less thing I would have to upgrade later on. My real question was whether or not the onboard video of that mobo would handle the same games as the computer I just described. I think it will, because this computer is pretty old and the specs are pretty bad compared to anything new. I just wanted something to tide me over with my new pc until I could pay for the video card upgrade.

future games will not play very well with onboard graphics .
Get an agp board with a cheap 32 mb video card . Youll need it for that 9600 XT

You could probably find a good video card on tigerdirect.com. Tonnes to look at, but there is probably a cheaper place somewhere..im just to lazy to search.

My main concern for now is whether or not the onboard video will be good enough for a game such as Age of Empires 2. I would also like the onboard video to be able to handle games like Halo, even if it could only handle the low resolution. As long as the onboard video could play Halo for pc, it would be good enough for pretty much anything else I would play. Once I get more money, I'm going to get a 9600xt to upgrade the video. Does anyone know of a good, solid board with onboard video that could play Halo for pc at low resolution? Will the board I posted be good enough for this? Thanks, guys.

No you would not be able to play halo. It will not stop you but it will be terribly slow. You will have to get a new motherboard so DO NOT buy any ram yet for your current one. Becuase ounce you get your new motherboard you will have to get new ram that will fit its speeds wich will be a waist of money! Yes you will probalbly be able to play age of empires 2. It is not a very demanding graphics game.
I dont think any onboard video can go that fast...at least none that i have seen your best bet is to save for 9600.

Squaggleboggin said:
To cut back the cost of a budget gaming pc I'm building, I was thinking of getting a mobo with onboard video. This would cut the costs by about $150. The onboard video will be good enough for some low-end games such as Age of Empires 2 until I have the extra money for a 9600xt (then I can play Halo and other sweet games), right? This is the link to the mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-150&depa=1
So will this mobo be good enough to play some games on until I can get a video card? Now that I'll be saving so much money, what kind of RAM would you suggest to take advantage of the dual-channel memory? I need at LEAST 512mb from what I've heard, so should I get 2 x 256? What speed will be supported by this mobo? I've also heard that I need to get high-end memory, so would mushkin be a good brand? Thanks guys.

Theres only 1 answer,Go for it.if you can,You get what you pay for and your software needs,
:eek:

your better off saving your money and get it right the 1st time .
Why buy a mobo with no AGP then a few months down the road by another mobo with AGP (possibly even memory) then have to buy a VC to ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom