older hardware - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Dunadan1821 Send a message via Yahoo to Dunadan1821
Default older hardware

Hey guys its been awhile...I have a question that if anyone can answer it could help me out greatly. I recently was given a vast amount of old hardware...mice, keyboards, ****ty monotors and somewhat slightly functioning chasses. I am in no need of these items and am moving accross the US in 3 weeks. I need to know if there is any value in these items, if so, where would I sell them (like is there a company that buys this sort of thing to recycle?) or if I should just get rid of it (suggestions on that? maybe a place that takes that type of thing for fee?). Thank you for your time in reading and considering this query, Duna

Old 08-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Also, what type of hardware do you have? If you posted some info on them, some people would be sure to help to see if they are something to keep, or toss.

Well, they do have recycling companies that handle just computer components. But instead of them paying you, you pay them. They want like $15 for each monitor, and $5 for each computer chassis. And for mouses and keyboards, they might want $2 for each pound of material.

But I highly advise against doing that. Because they are only going to break down the material into simple matter and sell it off. Your paying them to make money. What I would do, is strip the computers complete down. Keep all of the cpu's apart, and the ram, and the rest of the materials apart. Sell the CPU's on ebay under the assertion that they are for "material recovery only", you should be able to get some money for them. Now for the mice and keyboards, sell them on ebay, as one big lot. And for the monitors. I would just put an ad in the newspaper about monitors for free. You are going to have a hard time if you try to sell old monitors on ebay.

For example: (some guy is selling 50, old pentiums $1,450.00)

INTEL i7 930
3x2gb Corsair Dominators
Old 08-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Dunadan1821 Send a message via Yahoo to Dunadan1821

Thanks for the info. I wish I could give more precise info but it is not that easy to discern. Older compaq computers....I think I will take your advice on splitting it up like that and sell the material recovory with the processors, ram and hdd...and sell the keyboards and mice and stuff as a different bundle. Thanks for the help, Duna
Closed Thread