Old video card prob - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Old video card prob

I have an old computer for word procesing and internet use. it's 1ghz Athlon with on board video. I had an old radeon VE 32 meg video card attatched. Recently I tried putting in a 9200 so the little sister could play black and white. Well something happened when I was replacing the video card. After the 9200 was installed and I switched on the power botton on the power supply the computer turned on without pushing the power button on the motherboard. Video card didn't work. So I switched back the radeon VE 32 meg card and the same thing happened. I reset the bios and turned back on the onboard video and that worked. I'm pretty sure I burned out the AGP slot or something. The computer works fine with the onboard video.

Is there anything I could try to save this motherboard or is it toast. I really don't want to invest any money on an old computer and video card.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Try reseating the agp card a few times. They are notoriously twitchy when it comes to being fully inserted in the slot.

Do you get any beeps when the machine tries to boot with agp card in?

Old 02-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Hello,

Ok.....you might want to try 'Disabling Onboard Video' in BIOS, before or after installing the AGP Video card. Your probably experiencing conflicts between the two.

...Although...however...you may also be having voltage issues. Some AGP ports on motherboards only accept certain AGP standards, at different speeds and voltages.

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 02-16-2005, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

unless that board has at least AGP 4x, you won't be able to run the 9200 in your computer. the 9200 is an AGP 8x card, which runs at different speeds and voltages to AGP 2x. AGP 4x and AGP 8x run at the same voltages, and you can run an 8x card in a 4x slot but wouldn't run to its full potential
Old 02-17-2005, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

This video card used to work with this motherboard before. I'm afraid of disableing the onboard video because I won't know how to turn it back on if it doesn't work. This is an old motherboard and I don't think it has a jumper to reset the bios.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

If you disable onboard video and hten it doesnt work yes, you may gte a black screen. If this happens, take out the battery of your motherboard and let it sit for a couple minutes, that will completely reset it.
Sig removed due to foul language. Please read the rules regarding the allowable content of sigs before reposting your COMPLIANT sig.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks alex. I don't know why i never thought of that.

Closed Thread