Old mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

97lt2959

In Runtime
Right i went in to my old favorite 'pc world' (not sarcasm in old favorite) and tried to buy some more memory for my computer. they said they needed to know how many pins it was so i brought it in and then then said it would only recognise an extra 64mb and not 128mb that i was going to buy. They said it was an old motherboard (which it is to be fair) so i thought why not upgrade the mother board. So my question to all you techie people out there is....if i upgrade, cdrw drives etc i know id have to upgrade me cpu but not sure about the other stuff. anyway can someone in the know help me out :)

Thanks in advance :)

:pLee:p

If you upgrade the mobo
Things you can keep. Floppy drive, cd drive (all optical drives) all PCI cards, Hard drive.

Things you will have to upgrade. CPU, Ram, and possibly the powersupply (not sure what you have).

not nescessarly the ram, u can find old mother boards that still have sdram/ddr ram ;)

Can you still buy mobo's that take regular SDRAM?

Get a new cpu, mobo, memory and Power supply. It might set you back a couple hundred dollars, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

97lt2959, did they tell you if it was DIMMS or SIMMS when they looked at your motherboard. Was wondering if it had the old memory that had to be put in in pairs.

cant remember think it was dimms and i have two memory sticks in now so that could be the pair... its 98mb i think we have now but 1mb taken off for vga for it shows up 97 in system properties etc

well either way you will need to upgrade your memory. If it is dimms it probably is PC66 or PC100. You will encounter problems and the system will runslow if you do not. What ever CPU you go with get compatible ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom