Old laptop doesn't meet requirements for Verizon DSL - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Old laptop doesn't meet requirements for Verizon DSL

Hi, i have an old laptop i picked up for $50, i'd like to get it online to download a few movies, perhaps a few NES games, etc. for trips. Installation won't even begin due to the computer sucking that bad.

I'm wondering if there is any way to by-pass the system check or trick it to think my computer is within it's requirement specs? Something to get it connected through my ISP.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-16-2004, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Would be nice if you list your laptop's mod. If from what your saying, it seems that your laptop is so old it might affect your DSL performance. Hence, slowing the connection down. I do have verizon DSL, and i see a major difference in speed when I use my new computer versus my old computer.

2GB Mushkin Redline XP-8000
150GB Raptor
Hitachi 160GB Desktar
NEC 3520A
eVGA 7900GT Signature Series
Dell 2007FP WUXGA
Old 10-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Wall7486
Would be nice if you list your laptop's mod. If from what your saying, it seems that your laptop is so old it might affect your DSL performance. Hence, slowing the connection down. I do have verizon DSL, and i see a major difference in speed when I use my new computer versus my old computer.
Laptop's mod?

I chatted with a guy about by-passing, he suggested i simply "Automatically detect IP" with Internet Explorer and see if that works. I don't have a NIC at the moment, i'm awaiting it in the mail, i had a feeling this would happen and tried installing the software early to see if i would encounter problems and hopefully get them resolved by it's arrival.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Don't laugh too hard at the specs

155MHz Pentium MMX
24mb RAM
3GB
Old 10-16-2004, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Usually you don't need software although yeah I know you get CD's when you order DSL. For the most part you should simply be able to install your network card, plug in the connection and it should work with possibilities of minor adjusting in the network settings, but generally the 'Automatically Obtain IP' works if you aren't on a network or anything. My old 133MHz Intel machine was able to still connect to the internet just fine the way I told you above. Surely your laptop isn't as old as that beast? That thing was from 95 atleast
Closed Thread