Old ISA AD chips sound card,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
Hello, I recently was given a real old packard bell PC. I got it running again after putting in a different hard drive I had laying around. My problem is I can't get any sound. It has what I think is a old Zoltrix AD chips AV 308 ISA sound card. The reason I say I think is because when starting the PC it detects AD lib gold compatible OPL3 and trys to find drivers but the card has AV308 marked on it but I can't find a name. When I do a search for AV308 I come up with a few different make cards with a AV308 number. I can't find these drivers to download, I found AD lib compatible OPL2, thats the closest I found. My question is the card has jumpers on it and what looks like a place for the same type of cable that would go to a hard drive or CD rom. I can't find any info on this antique card anywhere so I am kinda stuck, any one out there know what all the jumpers do and do I need to have a cable hooked to it? The mother board don't have a AGP slot so if I were to scrap this card and get another cheap used card would I be better off with another ISA one or going to a PCI? I don't need anything high tech, the PC is going to be used for just some simple games for kids or maybe take along camping in the motor home for games on rainy days or what ever. I have win98se installed on it, it had win95 before but the person who had it didn't have speakers so I don't know if the sound was ever working. Tom

Spend 10$ on the cheapest PCI card available and save yourself the hassle

And that thing that looks like you can plug an IDE cable in, is a connector for an expander with MIDI or surround.

I redownloaded the AD chips drivers on a different disk and it worked, so I have sound now. Must have been a bad download or a bad floppy. Tom

Yeah, floppies have always been a problem for me. I try to use a flash disk where i can, but some of these older computers do not have USB.

TomW,

Here is a website you desperately need:
http://www.priorityonesupport.com/home.asp

Priority One is the closest thing you are going to get to technical support for old Packard Hell's... uh, Bell's. It requires you to sign up, but the basic one is free.

They also have an online store that carries PB stuff, as well as a tech forum (pretty basic, Q&A support, no dialog).

Check it out.

It looks to me like most of the stuff has been changed in it. On the front it has a AMD K6 decal but next to that is a sticker from some computer place dated 2000 and it says pentium 166 and 16megs of ram and 2 hard drives. So I don't even know if the PT2006 board is even the original. To be honest I am not even sure the main part is a PB, I was going by it saying PB on the monitor. I can't find any ID on the case. Also the board info I downloaded don't even list the K6 CPUs, just K5, So maybe this is something that someone put togethr from a bunch of old parts. Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom