Old HDD to new HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

runescaper

Baseband Member
I have a 20gb hard drive. that is my master drive. I just bought a 120gb hard disk and set it as slave. It is still empty. I want to move all my files and OS and basically everything into the new one from the old one and have it run as the master. I also do not want to partition my new drive which is set as "E". My old one was also not partitioned and was set to "C". I would like to reverse this and have the new as C and the old as E. I have heard of Power Quest and Norton Ghost but i have questions.
-In Ghost, how much space do I allocate?
-And how do u set ur system to boot from the boot drive.

create your partitions the way you want with a partition manager like FDISK or better yet while it is still slaved use windows to create your partitions. than use ghost to do a partition to partition clone.

example, using winxp/2k computer management i create the folling volumes on the new 120GB hard disk. note a 120GB hard disk has actually about 111GB, not 120GB:

15GB primary partition for OS
1 logical drive inside an extended partition which is 99GB for storing data. all space has been allocated to both these volumes, there is no free space left.

use ghost to clone from your old 20GB disk's operating system volume to the 15GB primary partition on the new disk. pay attention to the destination and source volumes in ghost. ghost does not assign drive letters like DOS or windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom