old hd to new hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan2

Beta member
I was wondering what would be the way to move all the stuff on my old hd and move it all to a new, bigger hd.
I know that step one might be to set the new hd as a slave on the ide chain.
I want to move everything: os, registry, email, etc.

Yes, first step would be to add the drive in as a slave.
Second, install a Ghost or Imaging application such as Symantec Ghost. You will have to create a boot disk and then boot from this disk. Then the setup from there is pretty self explainitory. For the instructions to image your drive and ghost the second drive using the image you just created. Very easy program to use and it's fairly quick.

-Michael

I thought about ghost I'm just not too familar with it. Do I use ghost to create this boot disk? Do I need to install the OS on the new hd before I do ghost?

No, Ghost pretty much does it all for you. It also has plenty of documentation and walk-throughs.

-Michael

Take a win98 boot disk, copy Ghost.exe to it and then boot to the disk. Once booted, launch ghost.exe. Once ghost is up do a disk to disk image and in about 15 minutes, you will have your drive done. Move the slave to the master and reformat the old drive. Very simple and increadibly fast.

if you have the full version of ghost 2003 or 2004 put the CD in the cd-rom drive and boot up from it. if you have the full version you can create special ghost boot diskettes.

if you only have the ghost.exe than you can use a windows startup disk and copy ghost.exe to another floppy disk. boot from the startup diskette and than put the second ghost disk and run it.

ghost 2002 does not support NTFS, 2003 and up do i beleive. yes, good old DOS

The Ghost.exe from Ghost 5.5, 6 and up support NTFS, just not officially. They work fine for drive to drive images and even create .gho files. I have been using Ghost for 5 years on NT, 2k and XP machines all with NTFS. Never a problem... Ghost walker is the one that has issues reading the drives, due to it changing sids and machine names. All you need to do is see that the drive is attached, and any (dos, win95, win98, winME...) boot disc will do that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom