old dell upgrade q

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a

In Runtime
hello all,

the possibility of inhereting an old dell optiplex X1 came up and i wanted to get some ideas on mild update potentiality. it has a P3 (500 mhz) and 256 RAM.

is it worth tracking down a faster CPU and adding memory? or should i be thinking about losing the motherboard and going new/used replacement (which would mean salvaging the pwer supply, case, etc)?

i don't need a super computer but somethign that can surf the web well (which it can barely do now), handle my MP3 collection (which means ripping lots of CDs), and do some mild video editing. i do need USB2.0 and firewire would be great.

can i salvage this thing either as case or by upgrading? or is it a total lost cause?
TIA

a

bringing this back from the dead

little a said:

i do need USB2.0 and firewire would be great.

can i salvage this thing either as case or by upgrading? or is it a total lost cause?
TIA

a

i did inheret this thing and as is it is barely able to surf the web.

can anything be salvaged towards my new build project? power supply? anything? TIA

a

you could use the harddrive and cd but the hd is probabbly pretty small and useless. any money spent on that comp would be better spent on a new comp. sorry

you could run xp on it, disabling some features, after all, its double the MS requirements

it would be really fun to mod that out, actually. Its got some potential.

talldude123 said:
you could run xp on it, disabling some features, after all, its double the MS requirements

it would be really fun to mod that out, actually. Its got some potential.

k, i'm listening....

i'm running XP on it right now for everyday web surfing tasks but what can i do spice this thing up? different CPU? how much more can i squeeze out of that mobo? more RAM?

a

the cpu is pretty good, after all its a pentium 3, so its about 4-5 years old.

i would add 256 MB more RAM, maybe upgrade the HD, and xp will run great on it!

P.S. how does it run right now with XP?

I wound even bother trying to upgrade that system, for the upgrade price, you could almost build a new pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom