Old Computer New keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbdoufo

Beta member
Hello there.
I stummbled into your site looking for help.. I searched the forums but did not find quite what I was looking for..

I am going to give my brother an old computer we have laying around.. Its a 486 upgraded to a pentium.. I believe it was kind of thrown together by my wifes ex..

Everything works on it except the keyboard--So I went out and bought a new cheap one.. It should be compatible I would think.. But the old keyboard has a totally different jack than the new one which is a ps/2 There is a ps/2 jack on the computer but apparently it is for a mouse or something.. The mouse is plugged into a regular jack.. And works fine, but the keyboard does not.. It said it installed new hardware but it thinks its a mouse and does not work properly..

No software or insturction came with the new keyboard..

Is there like any attachements or anything that will convert the ps/2 to the fat one thats on the old keyboard??

I am kind of stumped here..

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Dave

Yes, you need a ps/2 to AT connector. You can get them at Radio Shack or "other fine stores". Just make sure that you tell whomever you buy it from that you need a ps/2 input to AT output. Or, tell them that you have a new keyboard that you need to plug into a computer with an AT keyboard port.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom