Old comp HD to my current comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus

Daemon Poster
Hey, I have this PIII HP in my closet with like a 10 GB HD, and I wanna take it out and stick it in my current comp. I know I'll need to reformat it and clean it completely, but how would I go about doing that? I don't have the original 98 disc, just 2 emergency backup disc thingys. Would I just put the XP Home disc in and go from there, or what? All I wanna use this HD for is my stuff. No games, programs, nothing like that. Just my files.

Are you planning on having this drive as your primary harddrive?

If so plug it into the computer, make sure you have the right jumper settings, if you're unsure use the Cable select setting.

Turn on your computer, go into your bios (also called setup), check your boot option make sure ATAPI or CDROM is before C:, pop in your windows XP cd, exit your bios (saving if necessary) let it boot up via the cd. Follow the instructions from there.

When you install the HD just turn your computer on, and go into "my computer" and right click the 10gb HD should be ( D: ), and format it. You can make it either NTFS or Fat32 whichever you decide.

jinexile, I will be using it as my secondary drive, so I won't need to stick the OS disc in there, correct?

uzi9mm, do I just right click the D: icon and there will be an option to format it?

Regulus just follow Uzi9mm's instructions then. There should be an option to format it yes.

If you're running Windows 2000 or XP you can also right click your "My Computer" icon, click manage, then go to disk management and format the disk from there as well.

Blast. Stupid HD is like soldered in the case or something. It won't budge a teeny tiny wee little bit. Oh well, I'll just wait till next comp show and get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom