okok, instability as result of voltages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokivn

Baseband Member
So, using MBM5 I turned on alarms at 'Tolerance of the Voltage Line 5%' to see if it'd go off ... I know nothing about this part of my motherboard and computer operation I admit....

+3.3 avg. 3.15
+5.00 avg. 3.12
+12.00 avg. 10.93
-12.00 avg. -3.73 !
-5.00 avg. 0 ?????

i turned on the alarms and then they all started going off. i have no idea how to change these settings since bios won't let me. my PSU is 430 watts i think, new gigabyte MoBo.

any tips/ideas to help? I had it running without the ATV_12V plugged into by the CPU ... my old MoBo didn't have one of those, so i wasn't expecting it. i think that stablized the system but i've had 2 lockups since then so it's not quite fixed.

can anyone tell me if those voltages are normal? the alarms were constantly going off until i shut them down.

eh, i can't figure out where my system instability is coming from.. i guess that means it's the power supply. i don't think the fan is turning in there anymore ... if there some something i had to connect for that when changing out the motherboard i didn't =\

i'd still like someone who knows what the voltages should read to tell me what's up with all the alarms i got. (and would still if MBM5 wasn't off)

i dont like mbm personally, and you can check your voltages in your BIOS... what type of instability are you having exactly? all numbers should be close to their rating 3.3v near 3.3 12v near 12... get back to me.

quick rundown:
installed new fan, fried processor.. also MoBo
installed new MoBo and processor, system unstable and will hangup randomly
checked RAM, system still unstable
bought a new harddrive, system still unstable
realized this MoBo supports ATX_12V ... system better after plugging it in but still hangs up every now and then

it tends to hangup when i'm doing something, just completely freezes and will not unfreeze. a few days ago and for 1-2 days, it did audio glitches (repeating last millisecond of sound indefinitely) along w/ the freeze. today it's back to just freezing.

i can't figure out what it is but i'm thinking it must be the power supply as that's the only thing i haven't replaced (all my spares are at home and i'm at college + they are not as nice as this one). the power supply is 4 or so years old if that helps.

in BIOS Vcore and rails all listed as OK. no 5.00v registering on MBM has me confused. -12 is also never near -12 :)

your help is appreciated. thank you!

edit:
new processor AMD Athlon XP 2200+
new MoBo Gigabyte 7nf-rz (bios reflashed to F4, didn't help)

well in my opinion it is the power supply... you would obviously need to test before knowing, so i can't really help beyond this, just go home one of these weekends and get another to test... and don't worry if its not as nice, im running a system that draws much more power than yours on a 300w psu...

Have you not tested with another PSU? It's pretty easy to do if you have one handy, and you can pick one up really cheap anyway if you need to. If you suspect the PSU is dodgy, test with another.....

thanks guys. i was wary to test w/ what i have available because a 300w (maybe 350w) is the best i have. didn't think my system could be drawing more than a 430w could give but maybe.

i'll go home and test it out, thanks.

it does sound like the PSU if your system got better once you plugged in the 4pin square 12V connector....

Sounds like you already got your plans lined up and as everyone else said your best bet is to try another PSU. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom