Is it okay to leave my pc on for a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, you might want to turn off the monitor to conserve power but there's no problem leaving the computer running. I have computers that I leave running all the time without issue.

I leave my PC on 24/7/365 with no ill effects. I run F@H (Folding @ Home) all the time as well. There is no harm in leaving your PC on.

I rarely turn my Computer off and have left it on for years; my Screensaver is "dimmer" so even when the SS kicks in I can still see what is going on.

There are 'Download Accelerators' (and P2P) that will turn your PC off after downloading. Start long downloads late at night and they are done when you wake up.

Thanks, well as I left it on for about 2 hours downloading, I was playing a game as well, and just now it froze? Like nothing would work? Why did this happen? Should I take caution?

Leaving the power on and whether or not a program will lock up are two different things.

I am running the Firefox Browser Nightly Beta (not well tested). It will quit running and sometimes BSOD (hang my Computer) once every few days. I run it under WinDbg (a Debugger) so that when the Program has a problem I can write a Bug Report for Mozilla (the Creators of the Program). Hopefully someone will fix the problem and then when this version is released to the general public it will work better for them.

The "stability" of your Computer should not be affected by leaving it on, it could be, but it should not be. If you have a borderline Part or insufficient cooling it can cause something to overheat and fail which will crash your Computer, as will running software that is not well tested.

There are many Companies that make it their business to have their Computers run Programs for as long as possible (power on and no crashes). You have heard from a few of us that we always leave the power on - that does not mean that there is never any problem, only that the "power is on" (which is what you asked).

The people running this Forum likely "leave the power on" all the time, how else would it work?

• Did you build your own Computer or add new Parts ?
  • Are you overclocking ?
  • Is it particularly hot where you are ?
  • Are the Programs that are running on your Computer all very well tested ?
  • Is your Computer a 'quality' or 'value' System ?
Often just one thing can be the source of your troubles, if it is a few things then that is more difficult to fix.

We can help you try to find the source of the problem and hopefully your Computer will be able to remain on and working correctly for long periods of time.

I built my own.

Specs:
Motherboard: M4A87TD EVo
PSU: OCZ ModXStream 500W
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 9400GT
CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 250
Case: NZXT Lexa S
HDD: Western Digital 320GB
DVD Rom: ASUS Cd/DVD Rom

I actually have a program that the motherboard supported to overclock and I ran the auto test to do it for me because I dont know how to do it, so now when I turn the computer on, it would say 2 Cores activated.

It is not hot, its at room temperature and I would always check the temp. Of my cpu, it is at 40 and even 36 Celsius sometimes.

It could be anything that caused it to freeze. Did you check the Event Viewer to see if it showed anything? Have you updated all of your drivers to the latest versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom