Okay...IDE..PATA..SATA....WTF? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Okay...IDE..PATA..SATA....WTF?

Okay I recently bought a media Player that requires a 2.5" IDE (PATA) hard drive, I thought i had one (HDD) at home, but i don't think i did. because i couldn't get it in the Media player. So i googled PATA/SATA/IDE on google images to see pictures of the connection, But it's so confusing because I see some pictures that I thought would of been PATA, and the people labeled them SATA, and vise versa... What's IDE?? just HDD type?? not actaul hardware connection (or plug). The HDD I have has a godly ammount of, what I would think are like copper pins, two rows of them... What is that called??

Can come one post some accurate web links to pictures of PATA/SATA?? I want to buy an HDD for that Media player, but I want to make sure I buy the right one.

THanks so much.......

This is the MEDIA player I bought:
Newegg.com - Mvix MV-2500 Ultra-Portable Media Center

Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to FlashDude
Default Re: Okay...IDE..PATA..SATA....WTF?

This is the older technology 3.5" IDE pata hdd.

This is the newer 3.5" sata hdd.

The 2.5" that you need is a laptop drive which is different again.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Yee Ol' Salt

the first image above is pata/IDE (un-Godley amount of pins) and the second image is Sata (no pins for connections)

Find my post helpful? IF so please rate me by clicking the green check mark under my avatar.

:D Antec 300|M3N72-D|AMD PHM II X3 BE 720 3.0ghz (CodeName "Heka")|OCZ Stealth Xtreme 600w|2 two gig OCZ DDR2 1066 gold 4 GB of Ram|BFG-GTX 260 512||Samsung 42" Plasma| XP x86 sp3 /Vista x386 and x64|
The face I make everytime I'm on my machine :eek:
Old 04-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

okay...so the one to the left is older PATA? and the right newer PATA?? I think I need the one to the right but 2.5".... Why would they call both of them PATA? Now I can't be sure what I get. I can't use a convertion cable because it's supposed to fit in a small media player.

I don't know why I can't find actual compatible HDD's on their web site.... Don't tell me what typem just tell me a model number that would work. It's not stupid (me) friendly...

Thanks for your help...
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson81 View Post
okay...so the one to the left is older PATA? and the right newer PATA?? I think I need the one to the right but 2.5".... Why would they call both of them PATA? Now I can't be sure what I get. I can't use a convertion cable because it's supposed to fit in a small media player.

I don't know why I can't find actual compatible HDD's on their web site.... Don't tell me what typem just tell me a model number that would work. It's not stupid (me) friendly...

Thanks for your help...
The one on the left is PATA aka IDE, the one on the right is SATA.
For 2.5" drives that you are looking for the PATA connectors are different from the 3.5" PATA drives but 2.5" SATA drives use the same connectors as 3.5" SATA drives.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 04-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

2.5" PATA drives aren't that common anymore, because the 2.5" SATA drives ave just so much better (at the same prices, heck sometimes even cheaper)

Seagate Momentus 5400.3 160GB 5400 8MB 2.5" Mobile OEM Hard Drive ST9160821A at TigerDirect.com
^ That is probably what you're looking for. It's a 2.5" hdd, with a PATA interface. first link off tiger direct for 2.5" pata drives.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Souldphire, I agree with you, when i Type in 2.5" pata in new egg I think it returns with one HDD.... This media Player is not good. I think I might have to excersise my return policy because I can't find a PATA 2.5" drive, and it came with a small crack on it..

Last ditch Effort: can someone post some links to some pages that they think I might be able to find the 2.5" PATA?? I think i'm understanding the whole concept now of PATA and SATA, I don't understand why they would call PATA on a 2.5" the same as a PATA on a 3.5", even though the connection is nothing alike.... The media player can hold up to 250GB's. Looking for about a 160 to 200GB.

THanks so much for your help....learned a lot..
Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,Laptop Hard Drives,ATA-6,

Newegg has 9, still slim pickings.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

That's so Awesome thank you.... Is ATA-6 the same as PATA 2.5"???
Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yes, ATA=PATA=IDE. The size of the drive will dictate what form of IDE. In this case, the ATA-6 have a different connector than normal IDE, which will fit in a laptop.

thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Closed Thread