ok. ppl. i really need your help. Processor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-05-2004, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default ok. ppl. i really need your help. Processor

I built my own system about 3 weeks ago. I thought i did a great job, but now the mistakes are showing up.

the specs are as follow (these are teh components I put in):

P4 2.8GHz at 533MHz FSB w/ 512 KB cache
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR, 405 mem, 250 core
160GB 7200RPM WD hardrive w/ 8.9ms seektime

These are the problems I have (with all of these)

Problem I:
I just ran 3dMark03 and I noticed in the results that my CPU is running at 133MHz FSB. I know the motherboard (P4X400 Platinum Soyo Dragon Motherboard (garbage if you ask me)) supports a FSB of 533, but apparently I did not set it that way. If you could just tell me how to do that (i'm guessing through BIOS), I'd be forever grateful.

Problem II:
Also, the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, which is supposed to run 8x AGP, displays under AGP memory (in the 3dMark03 results) as 0. Once again, i know the mobo can handle a 8x AGP, but apparently I once again installed it wrong. cuz i got a score of like 1060 on it, which I know is garbage.

Problem III:
Then there's the harddrive. I read something in the manual that it wouldn't be supported over 149GB w/o a IDE ATA controller or something of the kind. Now for some dumb reason i thought that was hardware the computer was not equiped w/, but apparently it was. now how can i set it up to work (so XP can recognize it to be 160GB) w/o losing the data on my harddrive?

well thanks a bunch and i hope I get a solution for at least the first two

Old 07-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to YourPrinter

your problems arent problems at all
I- Your Bus Speed is 133 because pentium 4 b's fsb is 133x4=532 but its really 533
II-Why are your 3dmark03's scores so low? because the 5200 is a budget video card with your setup and that video card 1060 seems about right
III im not sure what your talking about

Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

"Why are your 3dmark03's scores so low? because the 5200 is a budget video card with your setup and that video card 1060 seems about right"

That is right, if you want a FX series card do something 5600 or higher. Although ATi is better with the 9000 series cards, go with one of them.
15'' Macbook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16ghz
x1600 128MB
Windows XP/Mac OSX 10.5

No longer a Guru of games...
Closed Thread