Ok, I need an explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus

Daemon Poster
Alright, I've heard several people talk about this "thermal paste" stuff. My CPU didn't come with any, and I don't know whether or not it was supposed to come with any. It was a retail CPU. My questions are:

1. What is thermal paste?
2. Should my CPU have come with any?
3. Do I really need it?
4. If 3 is a yes, where can I get it and which is best?
5. How do I use it?

thanks a whole bunch.

1) A paste that allows better transfer of heat. Some pastes are better than others. It all depends what kinds of chemicals the paste is made from. Compound is like paste but made with conductive ceramic particles which is basically like putting electricity into water (transfers better).
2)Nope, stock heatsinks that come with CPUs use a thermal pad for heat transfer.
3)How hot is your chip running? The cooler the better mind you =)
4) www.arcticsilver.com - AS5 is probably the best thermal paste compound there is right now.
5)There are directions on that website... It's very simple, if you need help just post again when you've got the materials.

Wow...Not an answer yet? Huh...
Well here ya go:

1. What is thermal paste?
Thermal paste (or grease) is a substance that easily allows the transfer of heat through it. There are varying qualities, from the cheap $0.99 stuff (that works fine) to the expensive crap that's made of fancy crap that works a little better. You use thermal paste between the CPU surface and the heatsink, to create a better connection between the two surfaces (no air gaps) for better transfer of heat to the heatsink. Some CPU's come with something called "thermal tape" which is a manufactured "spray-on" kinda square of thermal gunk. Most often thermal tape is of poor quality and works poorly, so most people suggest you (carefully) scrape that off and use thermal paste instead.

2. Should my CPU have come with any?
Some procs come with paste, some don't. Usually if they have thermal tape on the bottom of the heatsink block, then they don't give you paste. Just grab some at any computer or electronics store. You don't need to spend a lot for it. Usually the $0.99 stuff works just fine.

3. Do I really need it?
Hell YES! It used to be an issue, but certainly not anymore! These new procs run HOT and definately need good cooling setups.

4. If 3 is a yes, where can I get it and which is best?
Like I said above, any electronics or computer store should have it. Don't spend a lot. Any will do the job.

5. How do I use it?
Leave your CPU in the socket, take yer heatsink off (carefully). Clean off any thermal tape already present (carefully, no water no metal tools) and make sure things look clean (don't have to be super clean though). Get yer tube of paste, put on like half a pea's worth (really small amount) dab it around with yer finger (don't lick yer finger, the stuff's poisonous) till it covers about half the surface area in the center of the CPU surface. Then, carefully set her heatsink back down and clamp it in place. If you did things right, no past should squirt out...In fact, squirting paste would be BAD, so it's always good to try less and see how things look. If you're not sure how it went, you can always remove the heatsink and look at the spreading of paste.

just to impress further about ShoobieRat's comment of "take yer heatsink off (carefully)"......this should not be taken lightly!!! I can't express enough on being soooooo careful especially if you have already applied the thermal pad when installing this CPU.

I was trying to remove my heatsink, couldn't get at the little lever to release the CPU, and thought I was being gentle and pulled the CPU straight out of the socket and the locking thing was still locked, which resulted in lots of bent pins which took about an hour to get those suckers straight again. I was lucky that none of the pins broke off.

So do be really careful!!!!!!

Jaksback is right. It happens too often where the CPU gets stuck to the bottom of the heatsink (regardless of the fact that it was locked in). That is why you must make sure that you lift the heatsink off straight.

Once the heatsink is removed, simply twist the CPU, and it should come right off. If it refuses to budge, then heat up the opposite side (top) of the heatsink with a blow dryer. Use caution, as you do not want it to get too hot.

Just run the bleeding comp for ten-fifteen minutes to warm 'er up and then pop the sucker off! It's not rocket science...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom