oh no, what happened? PSU? need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quartz01

In Runtime
ok, i have this 1.1ghz t-bird, 512mb pc100 ram, 9600xt. anyways the PSU on it was only $13 (400w made by a-power). so i moved the computer from upstairs to down stairs, and turned the PC on. it worked for about 5 min and then turn off. didn't turn on again. no hard drive spin, no fan spin, nothing. for about a tenth of a secound the monitor got something but thats it. I am hoping it was the PSU, but am not sure. any ideas guys???

Well the old saying 'You get what you pay for' comes to mind here.

$13 for a PSU? Why even waste $13 on it.

The only way to find out if it's the PSU is using a multimeter to check for voltage irregularities or have another PSU to test it with.

Other than that you need to start taking out parts of the computer to see which one is the problem.

yea, probley will do that but heres something that freaked me out. I tried out my 9600xt in a 1.6ghz duron, 256mb pc2100 ram and the computer started up but no video 0.0

is this because it only has a 250w PSU????

Well it's not necessarily the video card. Just because it powers up with no video doesn't automatically mean it's the card.

If your computer isn't POST'ing then it could be the CPU, Mobo, memory OR video card.

The only way to find out is to remove the video card, if the system BEEPS then try reseating the card in there again. If you boot up the system and it does nothing then chances are it IS the card in that situation but you gotta make sure that the system beeps when you pull the card out so you know for sure that the no video is being caused by that.

If not, then you pull out the RAM and see if the computer beeps, if it does and you reseat the RAM and then it does nothing, chances are it's the RAM.

Also though, yeah a 250w PSU is REALLY weak, but you don't have an insane power house running but still I'd recommend 350 or so with a good +12v rail of 16-18a for a smaller system

well, problem fixed :D

in the process of moving the computer from up stairs to down the power conector to the mobo got loose. lol, that should've been the first thing i checked. all is good now thanks lot though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom