Oh dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Hey folks, I have a pretty serious problem h@r and could do with a bit of help. Bear with me, I may end up typing quite a bit!

So, today I was taking photos of some items I'm selling on eBay, and after taking all the needed shots I plugged my camera into my PC via one of the front USB ports. The little XP "what do you want to do?" window popped up, but before I could do anything the entire system crashed out and restarted. As you can imagine I was like "Teh farkz?", thinking the crash due to heat. So, my computer is now once again booting into Windows and is on the Windows XP loading screen, the bit JUST before you can log into a user account. Before I could log in however the system once again decided to reboot. Needless to say this happened an infinite number of times, with me eventually thinking "****! I need to reinstall XP". So I throw the XP disc into my drive and boot to it, format one of my partitions and start to install XP. Nearing the end of the OS setup I am given an error message and the system crashes. I tried installing Windows to my second hard drive, thinking the first one was the cause of the problem (assuming it was dead I mean). Anyways, the second HD also suffered the same problem as the first, not allowing me to install the OS.

As you can imagine I'm a little confused right about now. So I open up my case and unplug my first hard drive, and try the install again on the second drive. Same deal.

I then think it may be the RAM ****ing me over, as surely two hard drives can't both die at once. Pulling out one stick of RAM and then loading my machine caused the PC to emit a "RAM ERROR" beep. Putting the RAM back also causd the same beep. Swapping the placement of the DIMMS however did fix the problem, albeit with the effect of the RAM modules running in Single Channel. Even more ****ed off I decide that maybe the XP disc is farked, so I throw my Vista RC1 disc into the drive and attempt to do a clean install of that, but right before the OS begins to install a blue screen of death hits me with all its might (and magic). This BSOD doesnt crash the system, but neither does it offer me any insight into the problem, being written as it is in complete binary code.

At this point I had even tested a second power supply, and a second graphics card, to little success - although some of the problems showed themselves a little differently.

Now, the thing is, this system has been running near fine for three weeks - albeit for the annoyingness of DFI's BIOS. Folks, please tell me this is that the motherboard is ****ed, and not that I've had somekind of mass wipeout of EVERY system component. Whatta you think?

Cheers.

well, idk, just havin built a sys of myself and havin it take a crap within the first 6 hours(caused by usb too), i know how you feel. well, first what were the temps of the system do you think? weird smells?

it almost sounds like your ram is bad. have you tried each stick by itself in all the slots? also, how is the cooling? overheating at all?

I cant really install new USB drivers or new motherboard drivers because, well, as I said, my system is completely dead.

As for the RAM, surely two sticks couldnt go at once? As i have tried taking one out and testing the other, then switching the proccess, but it doesnt seem to work.

Sadly I can only try motherboard RAM slots 3 and 4 due to my heatsink blocking 1 and 2. I could obviously take the heatsink off, but its a bit of a ballache reapplying the thermal paste on each change.

USB killed many computers. Too bad all camera's rely on USB.

Looks like you tried almost anything; replace as much as possible; good luck.

It turns out that the reason for the problems was a dead stick of RAM. I'm looking at getting it RMA'd now.

Cheers for your help all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom