Oh crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
So I downloaded Rivatuner to try and tweak my 6800GT and see how far I can overclock. The 6800GT stock speeds are 350/1000. Well in Rivatuner, the highest it lets me go is 300/900, and right now it has the card running at 200/599. What in the freakin crap is going on? Why won't it let me overclock more, and why is it horribly underclocking the card now? Everytime I restart the computer it goes back to the "defaults" of 200/599, which is ridiculous.

::::EDIT:::: The screen also flashes to black and then back on at random intervals, perhaps every 3-4 minutes. All I can think to do, and what I've done, is reinstall the drivers, 71.89 to be exact.

jDont use rivatuner. Use something made by nvidia: coolbits. Google it to find out how to enable it.

is 200/599 2d settings????

there's a difference between 2d settings and 3d settings

2d settings are clocked lower b/c they aren't very demanding (i.e. browsing the internet or typing a word document)

3d is the only thing you'll need to worry about, because that's when it all matters (i.e. benchmarks and games)

one other thing that might limit your OC is your cooling (make sure you card is at an average temperature [see below] and that your psu is adequate)

i'd suggest coolbits2 (can be found at www.guru3d.com), since you can see your temperatures and detect optimal frequencies that way

RivaTuner is just as good if not better than coolbits, and generally the only way something goes wrong is thanks to user error.

Make sure you enable driver level overclocking and choose the reboot to detect settings option.

Then make sure you're overclocking the Performance 3D Tab and not 2d or low power 3d.

The 6800GT's I believe however are 350/1000 for both 2D and performance 3D

Even with coolbits the 3d and 2D portions still apply, but use whatever works for you I suppose

well because technically it's the drivers or software doing the overclocking not the hardware, but yeah if it says 'hardware level' then that's my mistake, I'm trying to just remember it off the top of my head. My computer is down for a few days cause I'm modding it out for water cooling, sooo I'm on my moms laptop for now

Thank you all for your help, particularly Nubius and apokalipse. I un-installed and re-installed Rivatuner and made sure to check the reboot thing, and everything is fine now. You're right Nubius, it is an extremely sweet overclocking tool, and my card is now running at 398/1104 and getting 5196 in 3DMark05. Couldn't be happier, thanks again guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom