Official - My New Rig Building Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

toogreen

Baseband Member
HI! I finally got my computer built and have powered up like 10 times but have one big problem, Hard Drive. This is the hard drive i purchased and here are my other specs...
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939
Asus K8V Deluxe
eVGA 6600GT
Kingmax 512 x2 DDR400
Dual Layer DVD RW
Generic Floppy

Anyway, when starting its boots up and starts scanning IDE drives after 2 other screens and then comes up No Array Defined. This is then followed by a screen saying NO Hard Disk Drive Detected. I am a exreme novice at computer building and only got this far with the help of my friend. He pieced the thing together but still didn't figure it all out. For example the case came with 2 usb internal connectors and some audio connectors and we had no idea were they went and did not connect them anywere. On the back of the Hard Drive, I have the SATA cable hooked in the back but not neccersarily in the right place on the motherboard. There is another cord hooked up to the back witch i am not sure were it is connected to ( can check later ). The thing I am wondering about is there is a 4 pin slot with nothing connected to it in the back, but I have no idea what goes there. I thought it was a power supply hook up, but the one I thought does not fit the slot due to excess plastic. So I would REALLY appreciate help and I am clueless and bought my HD OEM so i have no handbook or even a box. Thanks in advance.

Read the Motherboard Manual it will tell you where to plug in your sata drive. I'm not sure what cord you are talking about thats hooked up to the back..It is a usb bracket..? And for the rest of the audio and usb internal motherboard connector check the manual...that will tell you what pin goes where ect..Get someone that is good at pc's to connect them up for you if you can.

Well, there are 4 cords 2 which have 4 socket brackets and 1 runnoff one and they say usb 1+ usb 1- and the other one usb 2+ usb 2- and the other ones are audio stuff i think. My case came with no manual so im kind of stuck. By the way do I have to boot up with my Windows XP in the CD ROM for my hard drive to get recognized or what?

Well, I just booted up with XP in the drive and everything went right up until when it tried to start Windows XP. And, once agian there was no Hard Drive detected. I am really stuck here, i have tried booting with the SATA cable hooked into the SATA 1, SATA 2, SATA RAID 1, and SATA RAID 2 slot. Which everytime it didn;t get recognized. So, once agian I turn to you guys.

Exactly what I was thinking, I don't think you've installed the SATA drivers for your motherboard. This can be done by pressing F6 during the Windows Installation when an option comes up to install mass storage devices. Your motherboard should have come with a floppy disk with the appropriate drivers, which you can then pop in, and you should be set from there.

Ok, I will go try what you said. But, the problem is my motherboard did not come with any floppy disk, so...Other then that I will go boot from Windows and press F6 what it starts to install. I will check back in here in about 10 min.

Ok, well I have tryed to install my OS once now to no avail. And, I did what you guys said, boot from with CD in the rom and now it will not load up. After it scan for IDE drives and such. I am left with a black screen with a text bar blinking. So, i am really lost now. Any ideas on this?

Well, now my main problem is not being able to boot into Windows XP Home. It did it once and failed due to not having a recognized hard drive. Would that cause it to not boot to Windows install or what? This is extremely frustrating :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom