OEM hard disk drive missing important bits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keaton

Baseband Member
I just bought this drive "WD740GB 74GB 8MB Cache 10,000rpm SATA HDD", a western digital raptor, I believe, but I didn't realise it wasn't a retail boxed one. It is for a pc I am building, so all new parts. I am led to understand that an OEM drive dosn't have the following (an and from looking at the very bare box):

Installation Instructions

Drivers and/or Overlay Software

Mounting Hardware

Interface Cable

Warranty Card

Jumpers?

Would I have needed any of these? I have ordered a case, am going to order a mobo, and my psu has an extra cable with it. But am I going to be short of any of these cables or drivers? And I take it the warrenty dosn't mean anything without the card (Which was one of the reasons I picked this drive).

Plug and play, the hard drive will come with a jumper though.

Installataion - Very simple
Drivers - Download them, or use windows default.
Mounting hardware - We all have a few spare screws around
Interface cable - I have a few hundreed of these, and they also come with motherboard
Warranty card - not sure about this one

So everything I will need will come with my case and motherboard, or even from my old (this) machine if I needed it? This is my first time building a machine, I was a little worried that I could be missing a little cord or summat that I may need to get it running by not getting the retail one :relief:

Installation Instructions: Nope, my OEM hd didn't have any papers with it. I just read a book on PC building.
Drivers: Didn't have them. Didn't need them. Plug n' Play.
Mounting stuff: No screws. I used the ones that came with my case.
Interface cables: None with the HD. They came with the Mobo.
Warranty: Little label on the HD that says "warranty void if label removed"
This was a Western Digital hard drive. But it was 80GB. Prolly same stuff though.

:confused:

Ah, thats a lot more clearer, thanks Regulus :)

Im still deciding on mobo, DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D is what im thinking, but I have no idea on on mobos, so many different features and speeds on all of them! My AMD 64 says I should look out for something that has "Cool'n'Quiet", but it sounds more like an AMD buzzword to me

The DFI comes with a lot big, chunky yellow cords, should be enough, hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom