Oem

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.P. Mguire said:
so if i bought a soundcard OEM would i get the drivers too? Or if i bought a video card would i get the VIVO adapter and drivers as well?

That depends what type of OEM it is. If it is an OEM SI you won't get drivers most of the time. For example, the Audigy 2 ZS OEM SI does not come with a driver disk so really you're screwed if you buy that since Creative's website does not offer full drivers but driver updates. Ebay had some instances where someone sold OEM SI and claimed it to be OEM and a ton of people who bought it couldn't use them.

If you buy OEM basically you're buying barebone. You won't get the "software" that comes with retail. I bought an Audigy 2 ZS OEM and it came with the soundcard, drivers and apps, joystick output but it didn't come with the "extra" software, cables (CD/DVD-ROM cable), and the retail box. Sometimes OEMs come in a generic box if it is shipped but if you buy from a store it basically comes in a static protected bag. OEM SIs only come with the soundcard nothing else.

Honestly OEM is the way to go...it is cheaper but no support but some stores offer tech help as well as manufacturer warranty but you have to bring it back to the store you bought it from. you save a ton by buying OEM I saved over $75 CAD.

OEM in most cases is looked at as an upgrade to an
existing system therefore programs, cables etc are
not needed nor are they wanted by those of us who
purchase oem.

You pay top dollar for retail packages when in most
cases you dont want or need half the software titles
that ship with the product but you still PAY for them.

You definately need to look at EACH oem offering to
determine if it comes with everything you need and
even the warrantys differ from oem to oem.

The manufacturer looks at the oem pc market as
generally the more experienced market and can offer
better warrantys because of the experience whereas
the retail market is more likely to have less experience
and more likely to have problems with the purchase and
therefore the warranty might be of a shorter period of
time.

The warranty is not a factor of the likelyhood of part failure
but of having to offer support for the most rudimentary
of installation or use questions the a more experienced
user would have no need of.

heh, oops thought he was talking about OEM o/s (XP or whatnot) cause in that case it usually means that OEM is for the original system only while others can legally be installed on another system as long as removed from the original AND can have a transfer of ownership... I believe its once per lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom