Odd video problem (ati), Please help :( - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Odd video problem (ati), Please help :(

Hey guys, I recently built my first computer (about a month ago) and I'm just noticing a problem with my video card. It's a ATI 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro with the latest drivers, and I noticed this problem while playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. It's a very hard thing to explain, so I'll just copy the post of someone who is having the same problem as me at the MOHAA message board (it's dead there):

"Hi...When I play MOHAA MP DEMO the game runs smooth and fast etc-wonderful graphics...But I have noticed one thing while playing (now bear with me as this is hard to explain!)...When you are standing in front of a door frame or the end of a wall or anything with vertical lines and you move your mouse round from left to right or vice versa a sort of invisible line or lines appear to come off the vertical horizontally! phew! lol...told you it was hard to explain!...however if you move your mouse the same way but SLOWER then the invisible line or lines hardly show at all...I was wondering if anyone first of all understands me! and has experienced this themselves?...I know I am being picky 'cause the graphics are awesome in this game but I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this?
Thanks from Colin.

P.S.-I also downloaded an official demo movie of MOH and sure enough there are invisible lines coming off the verticals.
I am using a Radeon 9800 pro."

I didn't remember this problem with other games but I played some newer ones anyway to see if I could spot this problem and sure enough if I looked hard enough I could see a small hint of it, and once you notice it, it becomes very annoying. But with MOHAA, this problem is a lot more noticeable and it makes it seem like I have low FPS, but I really don't so this made me to believe it was a refresh rate problem or something. I've also tried many different drivers and the problem still persists. This really worries me because I've only heard of one other person having this problem and we hardly even know how to explain it. It's so odd because it doesn't show up on the FPS or in a screen shot - you can only see it in motion. It sort of reminds me of taking a picture of a helicopter propeller or something, heh. Anyway, any input would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

Old 03-29-2004, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Shrapnill

What kinda drivers are you running (make and release)? ATI drivers can be VERY picky when it comes to some games. You could try using a different driver (OMEGA or Catalyst or UniAN or something), but be sure you fully remove your current driver with something like this first.

My penis is bigger than yours.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Catalyst 4.3

You mean there's drivers other than Catalysts for ATI cards?? How is that possible? I have tried using other Catalyst driver versions but no luck, also, I notice this problem with [I]all[/] games, some just worst than others

Whoops, can't believe I forgot my specs:

Asus 865PE P4P800 Deluxe
Intel P4 3.2ghz
x2 Corsair XMS 512MB DDR PC3200 (dual channel)
128MB DDR ATI Radeon Pro 9800
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Western Digital 120GB 7200RPM SATA
Windows XP Home
Old 03-30-2004, 06:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ive noticed that as well on both my 9700 pro and 9800 pro
I have a FX 5950 Ultra and there not as noticible but still there .
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans
Old 03-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Shrapnill

I dunno then, if you get it with a NVidia, it may very well be a DX problem with the game rather than VC specific.

My penis is bigger than yours.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Rey_Nemaattori Send a message via AIM to Rey_Nemaattori Send a message via Yahoo to Rey_Nemaattori

Or a bug in the game(engine) which shows more on one vpu the another
Old 03-31-2004, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

What kind of monitor are you using and what is the refresh rate set at?
-Target
Old 03-31-2004, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Naw, I doubt it's my monitor when in certain games it's more noticeable than others (NEC FE770 @ 85Hz). It might be something with DirectX or the CAT drivers, so I'm going to try to use that driver cleaner and see how things pan out. I'll let you know. Thanks for your responses, guys.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to ATIRAGEPRO Send a message via Yahoo to ATIRAGEPRO
Cool "Refresh" Your Mind....

I had this problem with my ATI 3D RAGE PRO.(CHeck out: Hardware Zone/ATI RAGE PRO---BLEM.) There aren't many solutions, but try this. Usualy this problem occurs because the monitor being used is a different refresh rate than the card itself.
try using the Desplay Control Panel and click on the "Settings" tab. in your case, both should be at least 75hz. If that dosn't work, make shure you have DirectX 9.0.

The RAGE master.

Quote:
Originally posted by bonehelm
WTF ROFLMAO !!!! WTF OMFG LOL !!!! PARDON THE ****KING CAPS IM SO ROFL NOW !!!

I just found out I\'ve been using direct X 8.1 since its out.
He who knows when enough is enough will always have enough... - Lao Tzu
Closed Thread