Odd question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Is Firewire Fiber Optic, and how fast on average does Firewire move data? If it isn't Fiber Optic, why haven't we made all our Periphial devices Fiber Optic? Wouldn't it transfer the data at a much faster rate, than USB2 or Firewire? Doesn't Fiber Optic cable have unlimited amounts of speed because its light, and their is nothing on the line to slow it down? I know its an odd question, but I was trying to figure out how to get over 500 songs off of a friends computer, without hauling mine over, and using the network, and USB is really slow, and would take hours.

an ethernet connection should transfer those 500 songs as fast as your HD can write the data....but according to the following chart which i got off one of the first results from a google, USB2 should move any data you need to transfer in a very short time:
firewirevsscsi.gif

But if the technology is there, why is it not widely used for other things, other than large networks?

Blackmoore said:
But if the technology is there, why is it not widely used for other things, other than large networks?

Well you would have to replace all of the current technologies with the new one. The problem is, why fix what's not broken? And replacing all off the "old" stuff would cost alot of money. So it makes more sense to wait until the manufacturing cost goes down and there are more practical uses for it. If you want something faster than USB or what-not, go get some mobo with Gigabit ethernet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom