Odd problem with PowerColor7000 (Radeon 7000-alike)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhitman

Baseband Member
I recently managed to shove all my extra computer components into a case I had lying around, utilizing a 60GB HD I found on the ground and other such castoffs. In any case, I planned to use the computer for some development stuff, low-level LANgaming, etc. I didn't have a PCI video card lying around, so I went over to TigerDirect's outlet store near me and bought a PowerColor 7000 32mb PCI card, for 40 bucks. It uses ATI technology. I got home and inserted the card into my machine, and booted it. It got all the way past the Windows XP Pro loading screen, and then it basically froze. The screen went black, except for 4 little white dots in the upper corner of the screen. I checked that the card was installed correctly (it was), and I also re-installed XP. Same problem. What could cause this?

If you don't want to scrounge through the above paragraph for important information, I'll give it to you:

Card:
-PowerColor 7000 32MB PCI card, uses ATI tech.

System:
-1 GHz Celeron (told you it was spare parts xD)
-512MB PC100 RAM
-Windows XP Professional
-No video card beyond the one I plan to install

Problem:
-Computer freezes up after Windows XP bootscreen
-Removing the card didn't fix it completely (although I didn't look into it much, probably something simple)

So, anyone have any reasons why? Not looking for an answer only-- any information on why will help a lot.

Yeah, and the system used to have a ME-loaded (or should I say, infested) hard drive on it. It's possible that left some residue on the motherboard, albeit unlikely -- I just don't trust that OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom