OCZ PE Rev2s Using TCC5

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
The TCC5 does the required 2-2-2 timings for the Rev 2 and much of the TCCD won't. The higher rated memory, such as the PC4200 and PC4800 Platinum will most likely be TCCD, but if it does what it's supposed to it shouldn't make any difference.

Update: I have been told that most of what is shipping now is TCC5. The stuff kicks A**, so there are no worries.
http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10379&page=1&pp=15

everyone knows that TCCD has been discontinued. don't worry, samsung's other chip is going to be considered as a replacement. their TCC5 chips are showing up in many sticks. i've heard that ocz uses it in their platinum pc3200 rev2. now i get an rma back from OCZ on the pc3700 platinum and it too has tcc5. i'll post some results and show whether it's good or not.
http://insanetek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2908&goto=nextnewest

OCZ Platinum Edition Revision 2 chips, labeled v1.1, are now using Samsung's replacement for TCCD, TCC5. Little is known about the TCC5 chips now, OCZ sources claim the chips do latency 2-2-2 more effectively than the TCCD chips, and others using this memory have claimed it to be of a lesser quality than TCCD and have been hitting walls at 260MHz.

A real concrete analysis of these chips is not availible right now, OCZ claims they've sent out testing modules to numerous review sites and we'll see the results shortly. I have a set with the TCC5s in my possesion now and will post some results here shortly once I get my system configured and optimized.

The general public seem to agree that the TCC5s like more vDIMM than the TCCDs though, and OCZ has reassured customers than the despite the labeled "2.9v warranty void", you can pump up the voltage as much as you like and a hassle free RMA will be offered should the worst happen.

Many explain the recent price of drop of the Rev2s is because of the use of TCC5 chips, and until we get a bit of info on these chips, I suggest you refrain from buying Rev2s, or even other memory labelled TCCD, as it may infact be TCC5, which may be of a lesser quality than TCCD. The again, it may be heaps and bounds better, just wanted to inform you guys.

For a list of memory using specific chips (although it may not be accurate as it still lists the Rev2s as TCCD), look here.

You can check the label for "v1.1" or so can just take off the heatspreaders and directly find out...

Also considering they're going for like 180 bucks right now 233 isn't considerably cheap.

Makes u wonder why OCZ is replacing TCCD. Not selling enough units?.. Who knows. If TCC5 "is" not as good as TCCD (price/performance ratio), I am surprised they are discontinuing TCCD in the rev 2.... They could easily have both products.. Maybe the TCC5 is the next best thing since sliced bread..

:D

It's not OCZ who is discontinuing the TCCD chips, it's Samsung. As I've said, there's been mixed messages. OCZ reps have been saying the TCCDs had more trouble sustaining 2-2-2 and the TCC5s correct this, and others have been having worse luck with RMAed TCCDs that have come back with TCC5s, while others are still hitting 300MHz.

I really dunno if I can believe OCZ as they're obviously not gonna come out and say "nah, the TCC5 chips SUCK" so we'll have to wait for a 3rd party to extensively run through what these chips are really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom