Nvidia SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian88

Solid State Member
Nvidia SLI,it sounds very cool and all,but is it worth the money?

And is there a serious future for Nvidia SLI?

IMHO, NO

They say that it is a good "upgrade path" because you can buy one 6800GT now and then in about 6 months, buy ANOTHER 6800GT and THEORETICALLY, have 2x the performance (we all know it is NOT 2x)

however, in 6 months, R520 and NV48/50 (dunno which one will come out) will be out . . . it is KNOWN that R520 will have 24 pixel pipelines, 8 more than the x800XT and 6800GT/Ultra

though they will be expensive, all you have to do is sell your current 6800GT on ebay or forum and use that money to get a newer video card . . . you will get better performance

One current example is with the 6600GT and 6800GT

6600GT is about $200 each while the 6800GT SHOULD be around $400-450

however, a SINGLE 6800GT CRUSHES DUAL 6600GT in SLi . . . why? The 6600GT has only 8 pixel pipelines, 128-bit bus, and 128MB memory while the 6800GT has double ALL OF THOSE compacted into one card

also, something that HURTS SLi . . . you have to use the same exact type of card FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER

meaning you can't add a 6600GT to a 6800GT to make it faster

or if you buy, say, an XFX 6800GT and then 3 months later, you see a GREAT DEAL on a BFG 6800GT . . . sorry no can do, you have to get another XFX 6800GT

the ONLY people who would benefit from SLi are those with a TON OF $$$ to spend RIGHT NOW . . . and even then, i have heard things where people will install one card and get "X" FPS and then install another card and put them in SLi and get "X-10" FPS

i have sli and i really like it it gives you good gains and if u buy the gts instead of the ultras you can save money and get alot. thats what i did. if you are on a budget, 6600s can outpreform a 6800 ultra and you can save abit. you can also just get one card now and put the second in later but make sure they are exactly the same

SLI isn't worth it at all, except like kold said, for the little rich boys

Other than that, it's a temporary solution for better graphics and a way to make money.

You should see the peoples water cooling setups with SLI, makes me sick.

Dual 6800GT's with $120 GPU blocks for cooling and expensive ass kits. it's ridiculous

dude why not get watercooling. i am going to get watercooling for my sli when i get my next paycheck and also you dont have to get the dangerden waterblock either you can get both blocks for the same price if you get a normal one with ram sinks which the gpu is the main thing you will overclock and normally you can overclock the ram more with just the ram sinks anyway. just what i think but i think sli will be good epsecially for "richie boys" as someone upt it but also for people to get 2 "crappy" cards that will equal at least a better one. as i said befor you can get 2 6600 cards and outpreform an ultra and save money.

as koldapu said a 6600 is around 200. if you get dual 6600s you can get better rates than 1 ultra or especially 1 gt and at 150-200 the overall price is 300-400, cheaper than 1 ultra or gts in some cases

i didnt say that it was certain. i said that you CAN get as good as an ultra with 2 6600s in sli. that is true and i will look for the link to some benchmarks to prove it. also it depends on the game, the brand of card and if you overclock them.

what im saying is that i dont understand WHY people get dual 6600GTs FROM THE START

they can get 1x6800GT and if they believe that SLI is a good upgrade path, they can get ANOTHER 6800GT

plus, you have to consider OTHER things when getting 2 gfx cards

is you PSU able to power two? it better be single rail, i know that my neopower wouldnt be able to handle it since it is dual rail

what other bottlenecks are there? you have to have a pretty good CPU . . .

obviously, motherboards cost about $200 right now, compared to the $150 i paid for my Neo4 Ultra

and of course, electricity bill, added noise, etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom