NVIDIA Launching 3 way SLI - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default NVIDIA Launching 3 way SLI

I just found out that NVIDIA is launching 3-Way SLI for 680i motherboards in the morning and will be doing 780i motherboards next week. We have been not been informed of these launch specifics before today. One of the reasons NVIDIA stated that it had not shared 680i/3-Way SLI with [H] was because we have previously expressed to them that we think 3-Way SLI would not interest our readers, which we did tell them in closed meetings. And I don’t think it will beyond the “Hey that is cool,” entertainment value. The adoption rate for SLI is very small and once you start considering all the physical room that 3-Way SLI will take up in a case, not to mention power and temperature concerns, I just don’t see it being desirable. Once you get three 8800 GTX or Ultra cards into a case, there is going to be little room for anything else. Maybe Crysis will be the golden application to drive such setups, but otherwise multi-card setups are simply a bad investment when you look at what can be returned in terms of gameplay, and of course I am assuming that 3-Way SLI scales tremendously in such an app. Obviously cost would be huge as well. It is my opinion that NVIDIA is sandbagging GPU releases because AMD is not giving them competition and the GPU hardware is still outrunning the games. We are going to need a lot more Crysis graphics-level games on the shelf before it becomes worth it to spend that kind of cash on multiple video cards. NVIDA has 3-Way SLI, AMD has Quad-CrossFire, but I just don’t see them being much use beyond corporate e***** saber battles. That’s my 2 cents, you might need change.

NVIDIA Launching 3 way SLI - www.Tech-Dump.com
Closed Thread