Nvidia to launch nForce 790i chipset in 2Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon1

Banned
Nvidia is planning to launch the next generation nForce 790i chipset in the second quarter this year. The chipset adopts Nvidia's C73 northbridge and MCP55 southbridge, and will support Intel processors with FSB up to 1600MHz, according to sources at motherboard makers.

The chipset will also feature 3-way SLI and Hybrid SLI technology and support DDR3 memory. Motherboard makers generally expect DDR3 memory pricing will start to drop in the third quarter of 2008. The nForce 790i is positioned by Nvidia as a high-end product and so the motherboard should attract high-end gamers who will be willing to pay a premium for DDR3 memory.

The nForce 790i will be released in two versions, nForce 790i Ultra SLI and nForce 790i SLI. The difference between the two is that the former has better overclocking ability and will support SLI memory modules up to DDR3 2000, the sources detailed.

In additional news, Nvidia's recently launched Intel-based nForce 780i chipset has not been performing well in the market due to the fact its specifications do not offer any significant features over the previous nForce 680i, while the nForce 790i will launch into the market soon replacing it in the high-end segment. As a result most of the first-tier motherboard makers have elected to delay or even stop their development of 780i-based motherboards to prevent getting caught out during the transition, noted the sources.

Source
Nvidia to launch nForce 790i chipset in 2Q

790i Ultra supports DDR3 2000MHz !! Thats crazy:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom