nVidia firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sport1031

Daemon Poster
I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9.

I know that my board supports nVidia hardware firewall, but I don't know if it's enabled or not. Is there a way to check or is it always on? I looked in the BIOS but couldn't find anything. Does anyone else know how the nVidia firewall works? I think it's on all nForce4 boards.

Ok. Personally, from what I've read, I wouldn't use the Nvidia firewall.

1) It seems to have problems running in conjunction with s/w firewalls (e.g. ZoneAlarm) - why is this important u ask?
2) Being a h/w firewall, I don't know how good it is at enforcing "internal" traffic security - as opposed to external (things coming in)
3) One guy on a security thread (on another forum - can't remember where) simply rename a leaktest to iexplore.exe and supposedly NV firewall had said "hey everything is great! Have a nice day and here is the internet for you to use". - classic example of not enforcing internal security rules properly (trojan problems). This is where s/w firewalls shine.
4) Don't have traffic logging capabilities

I am gonna go read up on this firewall if I have some time. But if you fellas know any more details or have comments about my points post away!

Sport I have the same mobo and I'm not too sure it supports it. I believe the ultra version does, but not the 4X version. You will probably see it mentioned on the box or manual because gigabyte just uses the same box/manual for both motherboards (ultra/4X).

Pff software firewalls are all garbage so dont worry, ran enough of them as well as hardware firewalls.

I am not saying the nvidia hardware firewall will work perfectly, but it is a great idea as it will protect better than a software, hardware firewalls are meant for smart people and keeping people out. Zonealarm keeps stuff from within and keeps it within as well.

If anyone finds software better than hardware, I will let ya have a crack at my firewall :D

I never have a problem with security on my computer. I just keep my anti-virus real-time monitors up, have DEP enabled for all programs, have boot-sector protection enabled, keep my spyware scanners active and I never have a problem. For firewalls I just leave windows firewall enabled along with an SPI hardware firewall in my router. I think one software firewall and one hardware firewall in your router is about as good of protection as you will get. Don't see why you need nvfirewall necessarily.

DJ-CHRIS said:

I am not saying the nvidia hardware firewall will work perfectly, but it is a great idea as it will protect better than a software, hardware firewalls are meant for smart people and keeping people out. Zonealarm keeps stuff from within and keeps it within as well.

If anyone finds software better than hardware, I will let ya have a crack at my firewall :D

Whoa dude! They "usually" have different purposes (s/w and h/w firewalls that is). If you can show me a reasonbly priced h/w firewall that can deal with trojans, I'll buy u a beer!.

Needless to say h/w firewalls are "better" if the do everything. Simply b/c they are running on an external device to the machine u are trying to project. But typically they have no idea as to which "application" is trying to connect to outside - could be a trojan for all we know.

ZoneAlarm for example takes a keyed hash of the executable file I believe when you approve it. So it's kinnda difficult to simply rename a file to try to get past ZoneAlarm. (I think this is correct - tell me if I am wrong).

H/w firewalls will tell u what port the connection is trying to come from. But, I don't believe it can tell which applcation is trying to form the connection itself.

As Dale said, it's good to have one of each. h/w and s/w. And supposedly NV h/w firewall has trouble working with a software counterpart :s.. Never tried it myself mind u. But, so I hear.

Chankama said:
Whoa dude! They "usually" have different purposes (s/w and h/w firewalls that is). If you can show me a reasonbly priced h/w firewall that can deal with trojans, I'll buy u a beer!.

Needless to say h/w firewalls are "better" if the do everything. Simply b/c they are running on an external device to the machine u are trying to project. But typically they have no idea as to which "application" is trying to connect to outside - could be a trojan for all we know.

But why do we need to worry about a firewall handling trojans, a good hardware firewall and smart user, you will never get a trojan.

Is reasonably priced 500$ USD btw?

why not just get an anti-trojan program, and have nvidias h/w firewall, and a h/w firewall on your router, rather interesting no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom