nvidia 6800 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

The NVIDIA 6800 (vanilla) was just a shytty card. The only one worth doing any upgrading on is the 6800GT, which can be overclocked to the speeds of a 6800-Ultra.

If you bought a 6800, send it back and fork out the extra bucks for a 6800GT. There's no extra pipelines hidden in a secret level. The card is just a stripped-down hunk of junk used to provide a low-cost platform for the chip alone.

Their are pipines to be unlocked in many shoobie, even though most 6800's are broken GT's.

ATI's x800 is the only current card I know of that has 4 pipelines that can be unlocked. The 6800 (vanilla) cards from NVIDIA are just stripped down cards with disfunctioning pipelines turned off by defect.

In either case, the 6800 (vanilla) should be avoided. If someone is going to spend the money on a top-end chip like the 6800gpu, they should go with the GT or Ultra. The plain 6800 is a mistake.

There's no extra pipelines hidden in a secret level. The card is just a stripped-down hunk of junk used to provide a low-cost platform for the chip alone.
Not true...it's just like theeeee...what 9800 I believe? It's luck in some cases....depends on the current demand for them. There are two steps to be takin because you can turn a 6800 into a 6800GT, and then the new GT into a 6800Ultra, but of course you will have GDDR2 memory so that will hinder you somewhat.

But the fact is there ARE pipelines to be unlocked, but it'll be a toss up to as whether they were either just locked or defective...that's the gamble. I'll try and dig up the mod

ATI is notorious for just turning off perfectly good pipes to create a lower-cost version. NVIDIA, on the other hand, sells cards with missing pipes because those pipes are damaged but the chip is still good, so you can still sell them as a low-cost card. Your chances of opening pipes on an ATI card are very good. For an NVIDIA card, yer playing with matches.

ShoobieRat is somewhat correct. The SE versions of ATi cards usually have a number of pipelines disabled in them in order to sell them at cheaper prices. Some are defective, some are not, you just have to hope you got a better card out of the batch.

Some nVidia cards also have hidden pipes, however they are far less commonly unlocked that the SE ATi cards. Regardless, you could try your hand in Riva Tuner and see if you get lucky.

Don't be surprised if you unlock those pipes and find the image quality of your card has went down the tubes. The regular 6800 was very popular in its time, but now, with the 6600 GT not much worse in terms of performance, its better to just go with that, or go all out for the 6800 GT or Ultra.

Information from ohGrFreak, as i pm'ed him a while back about it.

How to unlock those extra pipes to get the Ultra's 16. First of all, if you get artifacts or any obvious mess', there is a "set to default" setting on the following program you can simply click. Now, this is not my original work, I forget who sent it to me, but here it is:

first u need rivatuner 15.2 which can be downloaded here

http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloa...2d49e3dcfc0e6aa

scroll down and click "I Agree"
the download should start
after its finished, install it
once it is installed, click Start, Programs, Rivatuner, Rivatuner
under Target Adapter click Customize, then click on the Graphic Card
Click NVStrap Driver
Click Install
At the Bottom Check Allow enabling hardware masked units
Click customize
Then Checkmark the 2 Bit xx that say disabled
ok.....ur done...restart windows and run a 3D intense program........if it has a lot of artifacts......it didnt work and u have to change back.....

--------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't tried it, as I don't see the point yet, as my monitor doesn't have a fast enough refresh rate to keep up with what my card could through at it.

sorry but the link doesnt work, but I found: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom